can't decide between new or used

rasbx7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have narrowed my search to either a used hrr216vxa ($250) or a new hrr216vka ($399) or a new toro 20332 ($330). I would like to stay under $400 and would like some advice if getting used is worth the savings or should get new with less features. The ad for the used hrr216vxa says that the oil has been change and he installed new carb, gaskets, heat shield, drained gas and lines.

I mulch most of the time but will bag to pick up leaves or when getting ready to seed. About 5000sqft total, mostly flat front yard but steep hill in back and a couple large trees to mow around.

Any suggestions would be great.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have narrowed my search to either a used hrr216vxa ($250) or a new hrr216vka ($399) or a new toro 20332 ($330). I would like to stay under $400 and would like some advice if getting used is worth the savings or should get new with less features. The ad for the used hrr216vxa says that the oil has been change and he installed new carb, gaskets, heat shield, drained gas and lines.

I mulch most of the time but will bag to pick up leaves or when getting ready to seed. About 5000sqft total, mostly flat front yard but steep hill in back and a couple large trees to mow around.

Any suggestions would be great.
QUOTE: The ad for the used hrr216vxa says that the oil has been change and he installed new carb, gaskets, heat shield, drained gas and lines.
His listing tells the story and all we need to know. The engine history isn't good and unless you like to work on engines that no telling how many people have tinkered with - AVOID.

Parkmower

Threads
SandburRanch said:
QUOTE: The ad for the used hrr216vxa says that the oil has been change and he installed new carb, gaskets, heat shield, drained gas and lines.
His listing tells the story and all we need to know. The engine history isn't good and unless you like to work on engines that no telling how many people have tinkered with - AVOID.

I agree who knows what happened.

slammed

Threads
I would have to agree with them too just buy a new mower you will be happier and you will know everything done to it.

rasbx7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since everyone agrees that I should get new. Do you think the honda is worth $70 more than the toro?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since everyone agrees that I should get new. Do you think the honda is worth $70 more than the toro?

I don't think the Honda is worth $70 more. I'd go with the Toro. If the Honda has that GCV 160 I can tell from experience it's a piece of junk, and besides the Toro has a 190cc engine and IMO a lot more mower.

Threads
I would go with the new Honda, but I agree, the 190 cc engines are AMAZING! Even though the Toro has a 190 cc engine (I think) I would still go with the Honda due to the fact that some people have a lot of issues with some of the Toros.

slammed

Threads

I would try them out and get the one I liked the best.

possum

Threads
If it was me I would want to know who, where, and how I was going to get service if any mower I bought was to fall apart, fail to start, and where to find the parts. Depending on how I liked or disliked those things would determine what lawnmower I purchased. No, 70 bucks would not sway me in any direction.