Cannot adjust Idle or Neutral Speed LA 105 Deere

bodybuff

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2009 LA 105 John Deere Riding Mower Briggs Model 31P677 Type 0140B1 with a 19.5 HP engine The engine runs decently under load at 3/4 to full throttle. However, in no load neutral or low speed the RPMs are too high I attempted multiple times to adjust the idle screw with no improvement. Please advise.
P

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
See page 8, Carburetor & Engine Speed in Operators Manual.

Last edited:

bodybuff

Forum Newbie
Threads
See page 8, Carburetor & Engine Speed in Operators Manual.
The manual enumerates that the carburetor is non adjustable. However the Nikki carburetor has a main jet plus low speed idle screw. The Manuel mentions a carburetor computerized setting. Please advise.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can purchase a rebuild kit for $72.00 or new carburetor for $132.28.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Are you using a tachometer to check the idle speed or just going by ear? The spec'd idle speed is 1750 rpm.

Here is the adjustment procedure (must use tachometer).
1649074356659.png

Also if it is a Nikki then the 796184 carburetor repair kit is listed at $58.00. And 591734 complete carb is listed at $119.00. An after market repair kit is dirt cheap for this carburetor.

Last edited:

bodybuff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Additionally, I have been gauging the RPM by ear since I have no RPM measuring device. However after 40 years of working on small engines a racing engine appears obvious.I will try bending that spring tang for low RPM adjustment.Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It getting to where a tach is necessary on these smalls engines especially on the Briggs v-twins and many of the handheld equipment to tune the carburetor.

But if the engine is racing off load then it is likely either a static governor adjustment problem, a failed governor, or a weak/missing governor spring..

bodybuff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you or anyone out there have a suggestion for a reliable, durable, quality aftermarket carburetor? The OEM Briggs replacement AUC 11044 has a non fitting solenoid connector.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First AUC11044 is a John Deere part number for the Briggs 591734. You paying JD markup on the Briggs part. Search using 591734 will come multiple after markets carburetors; just no guarantee they will be right operating wise as many after market are junk.

I do have a couple questions. What is the problem with the connector? Did the old carburetor had just an one wire connector? If so you do need install the upgraded connector for the two wire solenoid as Briggs did away with the one quite some time ago. The new harness may need some mods to be installed. Here I make up my own but I have the necessary electrical on hand along with the correct crimper.