Can you buy too big of a zero turn?

johnsayen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

New to the forum - hope this is the right place for this question. My lawn is split into four different sections and in total is around 1/3 of an acre. It takes about an hour to mow with a walk-behind push mower. The back yard is the largest section and is sloped. I'm considering a zero turn and got pretty lost in all the options.

My main question: if I buy something like a kubota z422 with a 54" deck instead of something like a z251 with 54" deck or z231 with a 48", are there consequences for buying a larger unit on a smaller yard? I did a bunch of searching and it looks like some people complain about rutting from the larger heavier units, but I don't know what to believe. Kubota website specs show the Z422 coming in at 918lbs but some forum posts show it at 1300+

thank you

upupandaway

Threads
are there consequences for buying a larger unit on a smaller yard?

not so much with the total size of the yard, but oh yeah there are. If u have a yard with humps, you can easily scalp them. Probably the biggest factor(IMO) is if you have trees, rocks, etc. that are pretty close together that if u get a 72" 0-turn you can't reach.

At one of my homes, I alone also have a Sears rider 36". I also came across a Deere 60" rider- the 60" won't fit past 1 of the gates. So yeah, look around and with whatever size you pick, make sure it fits your yard. BTW, r u storing it in your garage or large shed? I had to build a larger door shed to store mine.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bigger mower is more of everything. More fuel consumed, more blades to sharpen and so on. Higher cost for the machine......

Freddie21

Threads
I have a 60" and a 42" ZT. Yard is divided into large and smaller sections. The 60" cuts a lot of lawn but in the smaller spaces requires a lot of maneuvering. This takes time. I prefer the smaller unit here, but here's a suggestion. Go over a 42". That size deck does not extend beyond the width of the mower wheelbase. Which means when trimming along house, etc or going around a sharper obstacle, the tires hit. If you got to a 44-46" you won't have the problem. Still small enough to fit through gates and large enough to get the job done.
Also, I am a firm believer in the steering wheel units. Much easier to drive, unless you use enough to get the experience, and handles the hills better as the front wheel are not casters but steered and hold the straight line better.

johnsayen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate the responses - I feel like the concerns voiced thus far have to deal with the mower deck size and not the overall class/size of the equipment. Is rutting from a heavier machine a real concern? Also, I agree with the more fuel consumed, blades to sharpen, higher cost of the machine, etc.

Freddie21

Threads
Depends on usage. I have a small residential grade 42" and a 60" commercial. For everyday home use, the residential is fine, save the money. I've had mine for 8 years now and it still running great. But I don't baby my machine when I'm cutting my 2 acre lot. That deck will mow down trees and I feel confident I'm not hurting it. Also a better, longer lasting engine and even a better seat. If I had to replace it, I would go commercial again. I buy used to save big bucks. Either way, you must keep them maintained. Clean, and I only use full synthetic oil. Follow mfg intervals.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
95% of rutting when using any Z-turn mower is caused by operator error, not weight of the unit. There is a learning curve on how to make turns and cutting around obstacles A good operator can make turns with a heavy machine on wet lawns without leaving a mark. An inexperienced operator will constantly rut up the lawn, even when cutting conditions are perfect. Before you purchase any Z-turn mower, you MUST do a good test drive.

bkeller500

Threads
If traction is not a issue for that sloped backyard then a ZT will be fine. If you have a lot of trimming then a 48" is better than a 42" as you navigate the turns the deck will clip the grass beyond the wheel base. If your yard is wet most of the time a ZT can leave scars from the rear wheels where a tractor wouldn't. I have gone back and forth from tractor to zt back to tractor and now back to zt and I wish I kept my last tractor due to the scars from the zt rear wheels. Some will say it's because I don't know how to drive one ( ZT) but I would disagree. No worry on a tractor in those same areas but my zt will scar in turns if I am not real careful. In areas where the lawn is shaded and the grass is thin, you will get more scars with a zt. Everyone seems to be excited about converting to a ZT as they work well. are quicker and are more fun but in reality they can do more damage and are more prone to scar than a tractor. I fell into that trap. Knowing what I know now ( for my 1.3 acres with some slopes) a tractor with 48" deck, traction control for the rear wheels, power steering, and a mulch option would be better for me. A ZT will get you excited as you sit on one and if you take a test drive, but be careful making the jump. My honest opinion only for what it's worth.

Propflux01

Threads
I have. 36”. Perfect for my .5 acre yard.