Can you buy too big of a zero turn?

efred

Threads
I'm no help: I mow 5+ acres with a 21" self-propelled push mower. I mow for over an hour (or run out of gas, whichever comes first) each day, until I'm done. It's supposed to be great for your health (you know, all that walking, cardio workout, etc.), but all I get is beat.

AdamE

Threads
I have just over 2 acres and have to mow about 1-1/3 of it. I bought a 48" Exmark and think it's the perfect size. The Kubota you mentioned seems like overkill for 1/3 of an acre.

Gord Baker

Threads
Yes, you can get rutting on slopes, mostly from wheel spin while turning. Measure the Narrowest Gate you have. Subtract 2"
Go to your dealers and ask about Riding Lawn Tractors. Lift up the Grass Chute and measure across the deck noting clearance. Then get the appropriate size deck. A JD La-165, or that size range, 17-20 HP should serve you well, 42" if you have lots of obstacles. $10,000 cheaper and much more versatile than Zero Turn. You can tow small trailers easily and also a Wide Sweeper. roller etc. Keep in mind gate width. I use an X320 48" 22 HP on my half acre . Cutting time 25 min. Watch for used riders $250-$500. Check Forward and Reverse after hot before purchase if it is an automatic. Check all gears if it is a used Standard.
Mine has a 3 blade deck that conforms very well to uneven ground. I have installed some custom features. All my photos are too 'large' to upload here. WTF?

Last edited:

Gord Baker

Threads
Replies are not showing for me.

Lawn Addict
Threads
You know your new Z is too big if you have to do more push mowing Or wacking..

As to the rut question, if one mows the same exact paths all the time, yes expect ruts. That's my 2 cents anyhow..

Deereman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

New to the forum - hope this is the right place for this question. My lawn is split into four different sections and in total is around 1/3 of an acre. It takes about an hour to mow with a walk-behind push mower. The back yard is the largest section and is sloped. I'm considering a zero turn and got pretty lost in all the options.

My main question: if I buy something like a kubota z422 with a 54" deck instead of something like a z251 with 54" deck or z231 with a 48", are there consequences for buying a larger unit on a smaller yard? I did a bunch of searching and it looks like some people complain about rutting from the larger heavier units, but I don't know what to believe. Kubota website specs show the Z422 coming in at 918lbs but some forum posts show it at 1300+

thank you
I operate a small mowing service and my 2 main mowers are a John Deere zero turn and a John Deere all-wheel steer (tractor). Both commercial grade and both have 54 inch decks. Personally, I will never buy another zero turn. They are great on level ground or minor slopes. They tend to slide/slip on a moderate grade. The rutting is totally on operator issue and has nothing to do with weight. They take some getting used to and the key is to keep all the wheels moving to avoid rutting.
An all wheel steer tractor is nearly as fast as a zero turn plus you have the ability to take attachments and they are much better on hills and slopes. If your slope is a moderate to steep, you will not be happy with a zero turn. My 2 cents worth after 15 plus years of experience with both.

Fox12

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 48-inch Hustler Raptor SD, it perfect for my 1/2 acre yard. Much wider and it would take up too much garage space and would not fit through a rear yard gate. On the other hand, go too narrow with some brands and the mower will not overhang the wheels enough to allow for getting close to objects to reduce or eliminate trimming.

Hal12

Threads
Can only get a 48" deck between the fenders of my 1/2 ton ford pickemup. And I don't need to buy a small trailer

for a larger mower.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can only get a 48" deck between the fenders of my 1/2 ton ford pickemup
Best to measure then, cause some 48"s are much wider than the 48" cut..

For example: In Toro a 48" is actually about 54" wide overall.. Now my Liberty 48" is only 49" wide overall.. So take yer tape measure with you..