can i clean engine with a standard engine degreaser?

Papa Tango

Threads
Any good cleaner-degreaser should work well. Be cautious when using a strong alkaline cleaner (Purple Power, etc.) and make sure to rinse it off of aluminum parts promptly. If left on too long it can cause damage to aluminum and painted surfaces. A clean engine will be easier to work on and I believe it'll run cooler. Good luck and good mowing.

jross

Threads
thanks - i might not use water and just wipe it down with an old towel or something...

also i am having the hardest time finding a local store that has any regular maintenance parts for this mower..

Tried, lowes, home depot, tractor supply - and get nothing!

cub cadet website wants to charge me $90 just for the basics supplies
air fliter
oil filter
spark plug
etc..

is there another online retailer that has better pricing!?

Just search Cub Cadet parts on the net and you find many places that offer parts. Include your model number when searching to narrow it down. Agri-Supply carries a good number of basic parts, especially blades.

wildbill

Threads
My favorite is Simple Green full strength. I use a spray bottle on the entire engine, won't hurt a thing. Just make sure the motor is cool and let 'er rip. Let it sit for 15 minutes and hose it off. You may have to hit it twice but you will be amazed at the results. Let it set in the sun for a couple hours to dry.

I do this to every mower before I work on them, makes life cleaner and easier.

For a touch of class, instead of waxing a dull finish and spend hours trying to make it look good.... just take an old terrycloth wash cloth and apply a very thin coat of motor oil, thats right, motor oil. Take another cloth towel to wipe off any oil. The finish will look like new and will not fade. Customers are very impresses, some even thought I might have painted their mower.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Re: clean engine? and buying supplies help

just got a CUB CADET 2146 14hp 38"DK Hydro SERIES 2000 TRACTOR from a family member.. and looking to get this tractor in great running condition..

form what i can tell everything works well - but the oil and air filter do need a change.. and the 2 front tires need to be replaced

my question is - the engine itself has geese and gunk all over it - can i use as standard engine cleaner (Engine Degreaser) from the auto parts store on this engine??
It is "grease"... Sorry, had to point that out :laughing:

robert

Threads
ditto full strength Simple Green, just avoid using the citrus formula, or any citris formula cleaner-I find it really attacks plastics.

By the way, a slightly diluted Simple Green makes a great hand cleaner(mis use?)-not as good as De-Solv-It, but not far behind.

wildbill

Threads
I went to an auto parts store, NAPA, and tried some Purple Power cleaner. Its 1/3 the cost of Simple Green....... and I swear it does a better job.

Black Bart

Threads
I clean my engine every couple years I like to keep it nice and clean.
While any APC will work I use a product made by Gunk called ENGINE BRIGHT
it is for aluminum engines and it makes the aluminum look like new.

Can be found at Wal Mart or any auto parts store in aerosol can.

I use full force from the hose and have never had a problem but I use a leaf blower and dry it good before starting.

Poneykeg

Threads
Purple power is what I use - they make Castrol- cheaper by the gal and use a used sprayer bottle. I have a 3225-1400hrs. and a 1863- 2400hrs and that solution and water will work fine. I don`t remove the air cleaner the cover willwon`t let water to it. I spray all parts and electrical and battery and never had a problem related to using water and Purple power. But it is hard on paint!!!!

max mariner

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / can i clean engine with a standard engine degreaser?
I would say that it really depends on your model and which degreaser you are using , I recommend you to use spray degreaser because its very easy to use and it very reliable , works best , easy to clean . does not harm your engine
--------------------
RX Marine was established in 1996 in Mumbai, India; as chemical manufacturing company catering exclusively to the needs of the marine industry. In a short span of 12 years the company has established itself as one of the leading wholesale suppliers of a wide range of chemicals for - Marine industry internationally - and other local industires and plants. Our client list bears testimony to this. The RXSOL policy has its foundations on two pillars of strength - a continuous investment in research and development to deliver premium quality products and a commitment to service.

-------------------
Degreaser

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / can i clean engine with a standard engine degreaser?
Lazarus thread. Prior to today, last post was 8/31/2011.