can i clean engine with a standard engine degreaser?

lawnnoob

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / can i clean engine with a standard engine degreaser?
clean engine? and buying supplies help

just got a CUB CADET 2146 14hp 38"DK Hydro SERIES 2000 TRACTOR from a family member.. and looking to get this tractor in great running condition..

form what i can tell everything works well - but the oil and air filter do need a change.. and the 2 front tires need to be replaced

my question is - the engine itself has geese and gunk all over it - can i use as standard engine cleaner (Engine Degreaser) from the auto parts store on this engine??

Last edited:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
just got a CUB CADET 2146 14hp 38"DK Hydro SERIES 2000 TRACTOR from a family member.. and looking to get this tractor in great running condition..

form what i can tell everything works well - but the oil and air filter do need a change.. and the 2 front tires need to be replaced

my question is - the engine itself has geese and gunk all over it - can i use as standard engine cleaner (Engine Degreaser) from the auto parts store on this engine??
Yes just follow the directions on the can and try to avoid getting it in the engine. Most of those require a rinse with water. I would guess this is probably more risky than the degreaser. Be careful with the hose.

lawnnoob

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks - i might not use water and just wipe it down with an old towel or something...

also i am having the hardest time finding a local store that has any regular maintenance parts for this mower..

Tried, lowes, home depot, tractor supply - and get nothing!

cub cadet website wants to charge me $90 just for the basics supplies
air fliter
oil filter
spark plug
etc..

is there another online retailer that has better pricing!?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
cub cadet website wants to charge me $90 just for the basics supplies air fliter oil filter spark plug etc.. is there another online retailer that has better pricing!?[/QUOTE said:
I don't have a cub so i don't buy cub parts and don't have first hand info. I typically get part numbers and then head to Amazon.com. I haven't been dissapointed so you may want to try that.

jeff

Threads
try jackssmallengine.com

CajunCub

Threads
lawnnoob, Sure it is ok to use a cleaner, something like PurplePower(it's a little hard on painted surfaces) or OrangePower is pretty good, SimpleGreen is good too. I have used them all. Do you have a blower? If so, just wash away. Then blow it dry really good before you start it up. Don't get the air filter element too wet...you could even take it out first and just stuff a rag in the carb./filter intake before you start. Water won't hurt anything...Go for it!

Ironroad38

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yea the cans of engine degreaser at the parts store are pretty useless. I have never had one that cleaned worth a darn. For heavy grease , try and scraping the heaviest stuff off first and then use a stiff brush with some purple stuff or simplegreen, Be sure to wear gloves cause the purple stuff will tear your hands up. It was originally formulated to remove bugs off chrome big rig bumpers, It beast at the protein in whatever it touches. and is every alkaline but works damn good on grease with a heavy scrub brush..

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use Dawn for that kinda stuff. It cuts grease great......I make a mix about twice as strong as you'd use for dishes.

Again, though, is the rinsing issue......careful of the electricals. They wreck pretty quick when wet.

fastback

Threads
I use regular car wash detergent on my tractor including the engine, but I do this on a regular basis so ther is not too much build up. I use mothers intreror cleaner for the dash, battery and seat. As for parts such as filters and plugs I go to my local parts store. Its not a Auto Zone, but one where they can still use books if they neeed to. It helps if you have old part numbers as well as engine model and type. Tires you can try a tractor supply they also have belts and blades and the other nice thing about them is they are located all over the place. In their catalog they indicate they have access to over 10,000 belts. Oh, they also have tractor paint and match up colors. Hope this helps.

indypower

Threads
Castrol SuperClean is the best stuff out there.