Can a 5247 with 30 lbs compression be brought back to life?

Gene123

Threads
  • / Can a 5247 with 30 lbs compression be brought back to life?
Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm not sinking that kind of money into it. If I can for half, maybe. I have a '01 Duraforce with the alum deck, ele start, and easy stride self propel, but it has a broken rod. That's the one I'll be more willing to pay to fix.

What is "easy stride?" How do you figure the rod got broken?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before putting any money and or time into an older two stroke Lawn Boy check the deck underside for corrosion. I used Lawn Boys for years, but years back, and never had an engine problem but retired a few machines due to corrosion of the decks. Remove the blade and the muffler, check the exhaust port for blockage from carbon and inspect for corrosion.
Also these engines do not have a removable cylinder head or cylinder and need to be completely dissassembled to do any cylinder/piston rework.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

Fireman 123

Threads
Gene123 said:
What is "easy stride?" How do you figure the rod got broken?

Yes. My bet it someone put wrong gas in it and seized the engine, and then tried to start it and broke the rod cap. I removed the engine and tore it down to find that was the issue. However, yesterday I secured another standard push model with the 6.5 duraforce for $40! I'll be putting the engine on the easy-stride today :)

Fireman 123

Threads
There it is, ready to go back to work thanks to the proud organ donor on the right. It took about 3.5 hr to do the job. Had to re-use the back half of the original short block since it was machined to accept the ele start motor. Had to cut out part of the front half manually as well. I also had to make a new head gasket since the old one was gone and someone didn't do a very good job with silicone sealing it back (tells me someone's had it apart before). It seems to run really good, although I'm a bigger fan of the tried and true F engines. Will have to get used to the easy stride.

Attachments

• image-2253601989.jpg
    image-2253601989.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 12

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
There it is, ready to go back to work thanks to the proud organ donor on the right. It took about 3.5 hr to do the job. Had to re-use the back half of the original short block since it was machined to accept the ele start motor. Had to cut out part of the front half manually as well. I also had to make a new head gasket since the old one was gone and someone didn't do a very good job with silicone sealing it back (tells me someone's had it apart before). It seems to run really good, although I'm a bigger fan of the tried and true F engines. Will have to get used to the easy stride.

That's interesting. You did very well to accomplish all that in 3.5 hours. :thumbsup:

I never owned a Dura-force engine and haven't had any experience with them. I take note that you prefer the F-series.

Fireman 123

Threads
Thanks. Having the tools to work with makes a huge difference in time. I've had a couple duraforce mowers, and it seems like they aren't quite as smooth as the F engines. Maybe its the above deck muffler making it seem that way. Now they are very powerful, I give them that. I finished mowing at church awhile ago, and it didn't take long to decide I like the 3-speed trans better than the easy-stride.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like the below-deck mufflers on the D-series and F-series. That design has some disadvantages but, overall, I prefer it.

I would buy a Dura-force if I saw a really good deal.