Can a 5247 with 30 lbs compression be brought back to life?

Gene123

Threads
  • / Can a 5247 with 30 lbs compression be brought back to life?
I've got a 5247 (serial 8892550) that only has 30lbs compression. Is this enough compression to run? If not, what am i in store for if i want to get it running?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably not. Squirt a little oil in the cylinder and retake test. If the compression goes up you have bad rings. Is this a LB?

Gene123

Threads
Probably not. Squirt a little oil in the cylinder and retake test. If the compression goes up you have bad rings. Is this a LB?

Yes, it is a lawn Boy, ... a 19" push mower. It was given to me for parts. But, I'd like to fix it so I can have a back-up Lawn Boy. The Lawn boy I'm using is also a model 5247 .

Fireman 123

Threads
I have a '76 model 7264. It has about 25lbs compression. The cool checked good, but I can spray fuel mix into the cylinder and it still won't try to start. If I want to get it running again, I'll have to put new crank seals/bearings, and a new set of rings in it. It prob wouldn't hurt to lightly hone the cylinder walls either.

Gene123

Threads
I have a '76 model 7264. It has about 25lbs compression. The cool checked good, but I can spray fuel mix into the cylinder and it still won't try to start. If I want to get it running again, I'll have to put new crank seals/bearings, and a new set of rings in it. It prob wouldn't hurt to lightly hone the cylinder walls either.

Thanks, again, Fireman. You've been great help the last few days. Can I hone the cylinder wall myself, or should I take it to a machine shop? So, I might be able to use the same piston? ..... Just put new rings on it?

Regarding your 1976 model with 25 lbs compression --- are you going to purchase the parts and get it running again? If so, I'd like to hear how that goes. Is it easy or difficult to put in the crank seals? I'd love to get my second model 5247 running for a back up. Like my other 5247, it's a 19" push model also. I imagine it will need the same things your 1976 model needs.

I'm working the bugs out of my good 5247 that I recently got from a buddy who passed away. Advice from fellows on the forum has gone a long way. A new needle & seat stopped gas from leaking into the foam filter. I think I may still need to tweak the adjustment of the carb. I got rained out yesterday. I'm sure happy to have it running. Hopefully, it will last a long, long time. The pic for my avator is it.

When my 1973 model 5241 gave up a few days ago, it was like a death in the family. Ha! Genuine grieving! :frown: I'm hoping a new coil might bring it back to life. Its still got 95 lbs compression after all these years.

Fireman 123

Threads
To answer your questions, I've never rebuilt an engine so it'll be a good learning process if I decide to do it. I looked up all the parts I need online and it came to right at $100 bucks! I only gave $10 for the whole mower, lol. If I decide to do it, I'll definitely post my progress. I hope you get your bricktop running again. I have a '72 model 7021 with the green wheels & handle. Not much to look at, but it runs great and cuts as good as any new one :)

Gene123

Threads
To answer your questions, I've never rebuilt an engine so it'll be a good learning process if I decide to do it. I looked up all the parts I need online and it came to right at $100 bucks! I only gave $10 for the whole mower, lol. If I decide to do it, I'll definitely post my progress. I hope you get your bricktop running again. I have a '72 model 7021 with the green wheels & handle. Not much to look at, but it runs great and cuts as good as any new one :)

$100 for all the parts you need? Hey, that's not bad ! I imagine a few of us on the forum hope you will rebuild it and post pics and notes as you go. A lot of us would enjoy that and learn a great deal from it.

Fireman 123

Threads
Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm not sinking that kind of money into it. If I can for half, maybe. I have a '01 Duraforce with the alum deck, ele start, and easy stride self propel, but it has a broken rod. That's the one I'll be more willing to pay to fix.

Attachments

• image-1557258715.jpg
    image-1557258715.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 11

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
It doesn't seem logical to me to spend $100 on parts to fix one of these, given that they are routinely offered for sale for $20 to $30 on CraigsList.

When I have one that needs something major, I just wait until an suitable "parts mower" comes along and then spend the $20 or $30. And that way you have all the extra parts that came with it.

I might add that a high percentage of these LBs that I find have basically good engines -- only minor repairs needed.

Fireman 123

Threads
Two-Stroke said:
It doesn't seem logical to me to spend $100 on parts to fix one of these, given that they are routinely offered for sale for $20 to $30 on CraigsList.

When I have one that needs something major, I just wait until an suitable "parts mower" comes along and then spend the $20 or $30. And that way you have all the extra parts that came with it.

I might add that a high percentage of these LBs that I find have basically good engines -- only minor repairs needed.

Totally agreed :)