Bypass All (or some) safety Switches

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Then are you saying you have died but refuse to fall down? Sorta the saying "We have become aware that our workers are dying on the job but not falling down.".

I currently turning 62 the middle of the month and I still learning new things. Even my 73 yr old machinist still learning new things.
No, I just found a lot easier way to make a living. I would never recommend working on this chit for a living.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No, I just found a lot easier way to make a living. I would never recommend working on this chit for a living.
If I had to be working for the other guy I just give up myself. 3 yrs and counting down here until retirement. But at least my current boss is sorta easy to get along with most days. He's a grouch today as he has a major migraine headache.

Some these repairs gives me nightmares at night. But current problems are all with the vendors lying to me or simply not doing their jobs. Most of them but not all. Those that do get less orders and that don't drag their feet get more orders.

SlopeMan2

Threads
My ZT 60 blew fuses quite often when I would pull the control levers backwards. I finally saw that the bi-pass connectors were shorting against the control rods. I just by bi-passed them, and works fine. I may move location and hook them up again. But, with just me using it, I am always in a habit of throwing both arms to the outside anyway when I get on the mower, before starting it. I went through a lot of fuses before I found this out. Good luck

mmoffitt

Threads
Luckily I am no longer working on equipment. I am too much of an old dog to learn any new tricks.
WOOF WOOF! SAFETY FIRST! THROW THAT OLD DOG A BONE! SIR!

lugbolt

Threads
neighbor guy was mowing with a cigarette in his face and a beer in his hand. Decided to mow the ditch like he always does. Got the mower in a situation, mower rolled over, and with the switches bypassed it didn't immediately stop. I watched this all happen. By time I could get there he had already tried to kick the mower off of him, of course the spinning blades did a good bit of damage to his foot-to which he hasn't forgotten about, and for the rest of his life he won't forget.

don't be a dummy. Fix the problem properly. It takes literally a split second to lose a toe or limb or fingers or whatever. Or back over your kid or whatever. I saw that happen too where I used to live. Riding mower didn't have a functioning reverse awareness system (where the mower dies when you back up)--it is there to remind you to look behind you when backing. Well he didn't and his granddaughter was right there, they couldn't save her foot and ankle. 4 years old, she's about 15 now and uses a prosthetic. Imagine growing up and having to get a new prosthetic every few months because, you're growing. That's a small part of what she went through.

I don't bypass any safety switches, ever since seeing the granddaughter deal. Then a number of years later this dummy neighbor of mine. Reminded me of why lawn mowers are quite dangerous and how quickly your fine day can turn to a nightmare that will haunt you for the rest of your life.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not to mention the morons using a trimmer with no eye protection. Grandfather lost an eye doing the very same thing.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not glad to hear of other idiots out there getting injured but this is the reason there is so many safeties installed on equipment. OEMs are trying to prevent such accidents. I am working on a JD Z920M right now that the seat switch has been bypassed by the owner. I can do is note it in the file here that the machine is rigged this way.

Not to mention the morons using a trimmer with no eye protection. Grandfather lost an eye doing the very same thing.

slomo
Last I was mowing my own lawn when a rock was sent flying bounce off a tree and hit me squarely on the right lens of my safety glasses. I would lost the eye if wasn't for me wearing those glasses.

But even safety glasses things can get pass them depending which type you have. Some are better than others. I just recovered from having a piece of metal removed one of my eyes. Apparently it came from the drill press as I had another larger piece to hit me right above the glasses and stuck in my eyebrow. So yes I wear my safety glasses, have to if I going keep on seeing what I am doing. Yes they are pain to wear with them fogging up all the time. I just keep the Windex and paper towels close by to keep them clean.

4getgto

Threads
Great way to join a new group...
"Ladies"
"Tell me how to monkey rig safety switches"

Welcome.

carusoswi

Threads
Great way to join a new group...
"Ladies"
"Tell me how to monkey rig safety switches"

Welcome.
I am not one to normally disagree, but feel compelled to do so in this case. I own an MTD Yardman 'tractor' 40" that was delivered with safety switches that killed the engine when you lifted off the seat, killed the blade when you shifted to reverse. I have defeated both switches (since 1987 when machine was new).

I could probably have lived with the seat-engine-kill hook-up, though inconvenient, but the blade stop in reverse was a deal killer for me. Due to the layout of my lawn, I mow nearly 50% of it in reverse. Tell me what is wrong with that. When mowing in reverse, I have to turn such that my vision is facing rearward in order to maintain my cutting alignment. I don't allow children in the yard while I am cutting, but would definitely see and avoid them if any ever strayed into my path.

The purpose of these machines is to cut the grass. Who asked the manufacturers to dictate that cutting should always be done in forward gear. If you don't pay attention, you might run over a child in forward gear. There is an inherent responsibility upon the operator of a riding mower to watch for persons or other hazards in his/her cutting path.

I have used this machine with these safety overrides in place since 1987, and have not experienced one accident or close call. The key is not to allow toddlers on the lawn when you are mowing, not to mow in reverse without constant observation to the rear. It's simple.

As for the seat-safety switch defeat, I have absolutely no reason to leave my seat without first disengaging the blades. Are users really so inept as to step away from their unit with blades still turning? Really?

I have a Toro 21" walk-behind that incorporates a bar that has to be held against the handle to keep the engine running. I use a Velcro strip to defeat that safety device, as, when cutting, I often have to step away from the unit to clear branches, brush, etc. I don't want to have to restart the engine every time. Again, I would never mow with children on the lawn, so there is no chance I would ever endanger them through my practices.

I'd be very curious to hear from those who cut lawns professionally as to how they view/respect/practice with regard to such safety measures imposed upon us by manufacturers. I, personally, feel it is over-kill. Any comments welcomed.

Caruso