Export thread

bypass a seat switch

D

dgmorey

how do i bypass a seat switch on an Ariens riding lawn tractor?

slammed

slammed

how do i bypass a seat switch on an Ariens riding lawn tractor?

You jump a wire across the plug.

C

chance123

You jump a wire across the plug.

That is correct but Not the plug on the seat, jump the plug on the wires going to the seat switch

slammed

slammed

That is correct but Not the plug on the seat, jump the plug on the wires going to the seat switch

Sorry but I would hope they knew what I was saying.

C

chance123

Sorry but I would hope they knew what I was saying.

LOL I know, but I have told my customers over the phone to do the same thing, and they ended up jumping the disconnected seat switch instead of the wire harness plug. Not everyone has what we take for granted.

C

countrybumpkin

My Craftsman has 2 nuts that can be tightened and make the switch without having to jump the wires.

R

Rivets

Chance, if you are repairing lawn equipment as a business or on the side, I would like to warn you that you are liable for any injures which may occur to the operator of that equipment. I never tell any customer how to disable a safety switch. Before you ask, yes I have disabled safety switches, for diagnosis, but make sure they are working before the unit goes out. The way todays society works I would be very nervous in doing that. If you have a business and you find a unit with a safety switch disconnected, by law you have two choices. Reconnect all safety switches before retiming it to the customer or tell the customer you cannot work on the unit unless he allows you to put things back in proper order. Liability insurance is high enough already, don't want it to go higher. Just wanted you and anyone else who works on equipment to know that even if you do it as a sideline, you can still be held liable.

C

chance123

Chance, if you are repairing lawn equipment as a business or on the side, I would like to warn you that you are liable for any injures which may occur to the operator of that equipment. I never tell any customer how to disable a safety switch. Before you ask, yes I have disabled safety switches, for diagnosis, but make sure they are working before the unit goes out. The way todays society works I would be very nervous in doing that. If you have a business and you find a unit with a safety switch disconnected, by law you have two choices. Reconnect all safety switches before retiming it to the customer or tell the customer you cannot work on the unit unless he allows you to put things back in proper order. Liability insurance is high enough already, don't want it to go higher. Just wanted you and anyone else who works on equipment to know that even if you do it as a sideline, you can still be held liable.

You are absolutely correct. The question was asked in the first post on this topic and he didn't state his reasons. My thought was that he perhaps believes he has a faulty switch and to know for sure, jump it.

R

Rivets

I understand, it's just that when I see people who are in business post about jumping, I want to remind them about what could happen. I have gotten so paranoid on this that I never even tell posters how to do it. Had a friend who worked on the side tell someone and ended up getting sued. I know this is a help site, but sometimes we have to protect ourselves by not helping. Individuals here (non business people) must realize that they are not invisible and watch what they post. I call it CYA. Sorry if I offended you.

scott47429

scott47429

i never tell anyone how to bypass a safety switch either i don't want to responsible for them the rest of there disabled lives as a customer when i bought my used Exmark that i have as my avatar after the dealer delivered it ( not the dealer i use now ) the seat safety switch was bypassed and when i pointed it out to the owner of the dealership ( he just happened to be the guy delivering that day ) as i was looking the mower over and after he had told me the shop had gone all the way through this mower and found nothing wrong with it he knocked off another 200 bucks I'm not the type of person to turn someone in for that but if i had been it could have cost him alot more then 200 bucks but thats just my 2 cents ( by the way there not a Emark dealer he joust happened to have that one as a trade in )

C

countrybumpkin

Sorry friends but I didn't think. I don't work on anything except my own equipment. I will heed your advice thought.
Thanks

H

hrdman2luv

I understand, it's just that when I see people who are in business post about jumping, I want to remind them about what could happen. I have gotten so paranoid on this that I never even tell posters how to do it. Had a friend who worked on the side tell someone and ended up getting sued. I know this is a help site, but sometimes we have to protect ourselves by not helping. Individuals here (non business people) must realize that they are not invisible and watch what they post. I call it CYA. Sorry if I offended you.

Can someone actually sue you fore bad advice on an internet forum?

H

hrdman2luv

Can someone actually sue you fore bad advice on an internet forum?

No. It's just the mind set of those in business to worry about being sued. I suppose someone could try to. But they'd never be successful.

My safety switch is bad. And it's saturday afternoon, I gotta mow this weekend.
How do you by pass a bad seat safety switch? This is the four in a row type seat switch, on a GT5000.

B

bertsmobile1

No. It's just the mind set of those in business to worry about being sued. I suppose someone could try to. But they'd never be successful.

My safety switch is bad. And it's saturday afternoon, I gotta mow this weekend.
How do you by pass a bad seat safety switch? This is the four in a row type seat switch, on a GT5000.

You don't you replace it.
I am yet to find any one who dies because their grass was a week late being mowed
I am yet to find any one who got seriously injured because their grass was a week late being mowed
I have come across hundreds of people who have been injured because the seat switch had been bypassed.
It is only bloody grass, get over it.
Every mower that come into my shop with a bypassed seat switch leaves with it hooked back up and 15 minutes of charged for time to diagnose the safety switch problem.
Just about every dealer will do the same amd some of the big brand dealers will replace the switch not just reconnect it.

H

hrdman2luv

I have come across hundreds of people who have been injured because the seat switch had been bypassed.

You know a bunch of stupid people, do ya?

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

If its a 2 wire seat switch (most are) cut both wires and connect them together to complete the circuit. Why Bert didn't tell you this I DNK. Some people are just to busy being jerks sometimes.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

You can use paper clips shielded wires or other methods. Go to you tube video there as well.

H

hrdman2luv

You can use paper clips shielded wires or other methods. Go to you tube video there as well.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I just happened to have the right size wire connectors that slipped right in. Taped them up good, and now all is well. I can't stand safety switches. The seat I had to put on this mower, was different than the original. The cut out for the safety switch is different. So, I can't even replace it because it wouldn't fit anyhow. Unless I got another seat for it. LOL.. That's way too much trouble.

reynoldston

reynoldston

depends on how the switch is wired into the chassis. Some switches all you have to do is disconnect the wires and others you connect them together. Don't know what all the safety fuss is all about seeing its your mower and you know what you want. I will disconnect any switch the customers wants disconnected in my shop. My own personally mowers I have them disconnected.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

depends on how the switch is wired into the chassis. Some switches all you have to do is disconnect the wires and others you connect them together. Don't know what all the safety fuss is all about seeing its your mower and you know what you want. I will disconnect any switch the customers wants disconnected in my shop. My own personally mowers I have them disconnected.

Just someone trying to be a prick I guess. I'll show anyone how to bypass safety switches on anything. My new mowers and old alike are bypassed.

B

bertsmobile1

You know a bunch of stupid people, do ya?

Yes I repair lawnmowers for a living and I meet a lot of very clever people who just do stupid things because they do not think about what they are doing.
My public liability & professional indemnity insurance policies both have hand written exclusion clauses if any repair leaves the shop without all safety switches in a functional condition.

THERE IS NO REASON EVER TO DISABLE THE SEAT SWITCH EXCEPT FROM BONE LAZYNESS

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

You do things your way that's fine. Be by the book. But someone on a public forum asked a technical question how to . Not the legality of it. So why are you making a argument out of a simple thing? You have no legal responsibility so just answer the question and stop trying to be Mr hot shot by the fkn book mechanic. PS anyone want to pm me I'll tell you how to bypass any or all safety switches. And I'm not lazy as Bert suggests.

B

bertsmobile1

You do things your way that's fine. Be by the book. But someone on a public forum asked a technical question how to . Not the legality of it. So why are you making a argument out of a simple thing? You have no legal responsibility so just answer the question and stop trying to be Mr hot shot by the fkn book mechanic. PS anyone want to pm me I'll tell you how to bypass any or all safety switches. And I'm not lazy as Bert suggests.

BECAUSE THE SEAT SWITCH IS THE ONLY THING THAT ACTUALLY PROTECTS BOTH THE OWNER AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC.

All the other stuff is bum covering crap.
Because there is never a valid reason for dissabling it
Because dissabling it can cover up other electrical problems.
because it is easy to get at every brain dead total idiot moron useless bastard shaved monkey imitating a real human being does a you tube video showing equally stupid lazy idiots how to do something that does not cure any problem.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

Think that gives me a idea. I'll go make a few YouTube videos how to bipass seat switches. I'll start with my new 9k bobcats and then my toros. No reason not to bypass them if they are faulty. With that said if you don't like it you can kiss my a**

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

I'm not very heavy (around 120 lbs) so I've had some problems with seat switches not recognizing when I'm in the seat. :laughing:

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

Every time I reach into my back pocket for my snuff my mower wants to die or I lean back getting my but off the seat to adjust my boxers . Solution bypass seat switch. Yes even on my brand new mowers!

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Every time I reach into my back pocket for my snuff my mower wants to die or I lean back getting my but off the seat to adjust my boxers . Solution bypass seat switch. Yes even on my brand new mowers!

When I mow a bumpy yard and get bounced up and down on the mower seat, it runs fine because the seat switch is bypassed. If it wasn't bypassed, the engine and deck belt would be under an unnecessary amount of stress due to the engine cutting in and out.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

My 40 hp Kubota tractor has a seat switch I bypassed as well. That was easy a zip tie worked well. Every once in awhile I need to be off it with PTO on. Especially if I'm splitting wood with my PTO log splitter or use my post hole auger .

Boobala

Boobala

When I mow a bumpy yard and get bounced up and down on the mower seat, it runs fine because the seat switch is bypassed. If it wasn't bypassed, the engine and deck belt would be under an unnecessary amount of stress due to the engine cutting in and out.

2 choices primer... 1. carry a case of Budweisers on your lap ..2. carry a cinder-block on your lap ... Wellll ... A really HOT
sweetie would be nice too !! ....NAAAHHH you wouldn't finish the lawn ..!!! ( LOL )

H

hrdman2luv

My 40 hp Kubota tractor has a seat switch I bypassed as well. That was easy a zip tie worked well. Every once in awhile I need to be off it with PTO on. Especially if I'm splitting wood with my PTO log splitter or use my post hole auger .

I have a gt 5000, (27hp Briggs) I bypassed the seat safety switch and it runs great, until I engage the PTO. Then it does. The blades turn for a couple of seconds, so I know it's not locked up.
How do you by pass that switch and still allow the PTO to run.

BTW, the seat switch is 4 in a row. Not 2 on top of two.

The main reason I had to by pass it, is because I changed seats. The switch didn't fit the switch.

H

hrdman2luv

BECAUSE THE SEAT SWITCH IS THE ONLY THING THAT ACTUALLY PROTECTS BOTH THE OWNER AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC.

All the other stuff is bum covering crap.
Because there is never a valid reason for dissabling it
Because dissabling it can cover up other electrical problems.
because it is easy to get at every brain dead total idiot moron useless bastard shaved monkey imitating a real human being does a you tube video showing equally stupid lazy idiots how to do something that does not cure any problem.

Laziness? Laziness is having a riding mower to begin with, instead of a regular push mower. Or better yet, a mower with a motor.

he he he he..(Just thought I'd drop that into the bucket)

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

4 wires in the plug but only 2 in the main wiring harnesses. Clip the grey n black wire in the harness. Connect them together and its bypassed.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

ForumRunner_20170428_075935.png

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

2 choices primer... 1. carry a case of Budweisers on your lap ..2. carry a cinder-block on your lap ... Wellll ... A really HOT
sweetie would be nice too !! ....NAAAHHH you wouldn't finish the lawn ..!!! ( LOL )

Maybe I need to gain some weight. :laughing:

J

joe king

4 wires in the plug but only 2 in the main wiring harnesses. Clip the grey n black wire in the harness. Connect them together and its bypassed.
i have a new cub cadet 2017 will this work for me please let me know

O

Old Man 1550

Yes I repair lawnmowers for a living and I meet a lot of very clever people who just do stupid things because they do not think about what they are doing.
My public liability & professional indemnity insurance policies both have hand written exclusion clauses if any repair leaves the shop without all safety switches in a functional condition.

THERE IS NO REASON EVER TO DISABLE THE SEAT SWITCH EXCEPT FROM BONE LAZYNESS

OK, that is your opinion.
If you were like me, having bought a new mower when I could, but due to an accident that was due to a drunk driver hitting me, and 2 old injuries from many years ago, I now live on $1400.00 USD per month (Disabled and I hate it). If I am told I have to buy a new seat, or I can wire around the switch, guess which one I am going to take. It may just take me 6 months to save the money for a new seat.
I worked since I was 13, was in Vietnam, worked as an engineer/machinist/repairman for 45 years. Due to my medical bills, and my Wife's cancer treatments, I don't have the funds to go out and buy a new seat
Think before you open your mouth. I am one person that is NOT lazy, no matter what you think. If I had my old hips and spine back, I'd work circles around most people. Once I did 78 hours straight. If that's "Bone laziness" to you, then I question your intelligence.
Thank you for your time.
Bill
Missouri.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Most seat switches are 12 to 14 dollars.

B

bertsmobile1

Seat switches are easy to replace and quite cheap.
You get after market ones down here for around $ 10 monopoly money so that goes around $ 5 US.
However if the seat has become distorted due to you being unable to sit properly in it then it may need replacing or even upgrading.
I sympathise with your situation but responses are made on the basis of the information supplied.
Several members have made refference to volunteer groups who assist veterans with lawncare & maintenance of lawn care equipment.
If you particular circumstances require modifications to be made to standard mowers then there are people who will do it for free , usually ex-serviemen themselves.
This service has been mentioned several times on this forum so would be worth checking to see if it is available in your locality.
As a person who has been severely injured through no fault of your own I am sure the last thing you would want to do is cause injury to others, particularly if the others were members of your family
Occasionally I get to look at the local mower service technicians newsletters and every one carries several stories of people being seriously injured by mowers where the seat switch had been disabled and in many cases the service technician was found criminally liable .
There is a lot of junk added to mowers to protect the factories from litigation that serves no real purpose other than that.
The big exception is the seat switch.

Q

QuantumRift

You get the same 'attitude' no matter what forum you are on. Case in point: I belong to Genesis Owners forum (I have a 2012 Genesis). I wanted to disable the block on displaying videos on the main screen on the dash while vehicle is in motion. I asked and I got a litany of responses damning me and calling me stupid, violating laws etc, all because I wanted to be able to run a movie video, etc on the main view screen for my wife to watch on long trips. Doesn't matter I am OK with it and ignore the view screen anyways. Well long story short, I found a kit that lets me play Video In Motion and all is good. And that's been since 2011.

Q

QuantumRift

Most mowers have a TIMER circuit that is connected into the seat switch circuit. My 1999 John Deere has it, it's a delay timer that prevents the engine from being killed if there is a momentary 'bump' of the driver off the seat. IT's about 20 seconds, and it does work. I've since bypassed my seat switch as well because the timer circuit has failed twice. But if you experience a momentary 'bounce' and the engine dies, you got a cheap mower. LOL.

R

Rivets

I don’t even know how to respond to these last two posts, particularly the second last one. You must have a prett expensive JD, as I’ve never seen a delay time on a tractor under 10K.

B

bertsmobile1

Considering it is a revival of a 2 year old thread, why bother.