Buying Suggestions For Zero Turn Mower

SeanF

Threads
How do the ones above compare to the BadBoy mowers we see listed at $4999? It is a 60" cut with your choice of Kohler, Kawasaki or B&S engine.

watch the video on this link.
ZT Lawn Mower | Bad Boy Mowers

Even the MZ48 may be something he wants to consider. I picked this up about a week ago and its working great for us so far (2 acres). The ZT series is a step above the MZ line - which is their cheapest line of mowers. You can get the MZ48 with a 4 year extended warranty from Tractor Supply for just under $4k. Based on my research, the MZ48 is a step above the usual big-box-store ZTR. The one from TSC has the Briggs engine - I think their 60" ZT series model has the Kohler. Most of the non-commercial units have the EZT hydrostatics in them, and from what I am reading - they aren't super reliable. The MZ has these as well, but with the extended warranty, it should cover those if they decide to crap out after a few years.

Kaos Kustom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tried to get a better deal on the Ferris but had a hard time trying to justify spending $5500+tax on a mower just for my 1 1/2 acres...if I was mowing more lawns maybe, but I just couldn't do it...
Decided on the Hustler Sport 48". I have a really helpful dealer relatively close to home. Then I saw the same mower on Craigslist...EXCELLENT condition, not a scratch, looks showroom new, and less than 50 hours. Ended up paying $2200 cash...couldn't beat it. It runs great and I'm actually looking foreward to Saturday so I can mow the whole lawn!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Popeye

Threads
Now you need to change your avatar. You are no longer mowerless:thumbsup:

Larry R

Threads
I live in SW Florida and mow 1 1/4 acres, mostly St. Augustine(wide blade grass). No rocks, stumps, or other obstacles other than pine trees. Reasonably flat terrain. I don't want to waste money on a box-store piece of jusk but can't justify spending $6k + on a full commercial mower. I've looked at Hustler Sport 56" w/26hp B&S $3700, Big Dog R-Series 48" w/22hp Kohler Courage $4800, eXmark Quest E-Series 42" w/Kawasaki $2900, and Ferris 1500Z 48" w/Kawasaki $5500.
Leaning toward the Hustler, I think some of the more expensive models are just overkill.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

I have the Hustler 48" and love it, but hate the Honda GVX530 motor that came on it. Constantly in the shop (under warranty) for valve and carb problems. 1st time it took 2 months for the factory to make the new parts and has been in the shop more than at my home---it's there now for repair or replacement. I am sticking with Kawasaki from now on. + I paid an extra $500 for the Honda!!!!

Kaos Kustom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine has the 21hp B&S so hopefully I won't have any problems.
Saturday was her maiden voyage, I actually loved mowing the grass. It cut aweome and I was done in 40 minutes...:thumbsup:

Tom_D

Forum Newbie
Threads
I live in SW Florida and mow 1 1/4 acres, mostly St. Augustine(wide blade grass). No rocks, stumps, or other obstacles other than pine trees. Reasonably flat terrain. I don't want to waste money on a box-store piece of jusk but can't justify spending $6k + on a full commercial mower. I've looked at Hustler Sport 56" w/26hp B&S $3700, Big Dog R-Series 48" w/22hp Kohler Courage $4800, eXmark Quest E-Series 42" w/Kawasaki $2900, and Ferris 1500Z 48" w/Kawasaki $5500.
Leaning toward the Hustler, I think some of the more expensive models are just overkill.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Howdy. I bought a Big Dog R-Series 48 about 8 months ago. It has a Kohler Motor and is a good heavy duty rig. Solid fabricated deck. I bought the demonstrator from a dealership so it had some use on it and I got a great deal. From my research it seems that the R series is the same as the smaller Hustler branded commercial ztr. This series is significantly better built that the smaller Big Dog mowers I have looked at. So far no issues or problems. I have compressed air in my shop so I blow the grass and dust off of everything after each use. In 8 months no oil use or fluid leaks of any kind. No observable belt wear either. Cuts faster than i care to go! and has lots of power. You might want to inquire about demo models...good deals can be had when they are about to get a newer model in. Hustler has been around a long time in the commercial mower sector so I would anticipate good service with replacement parts on the R-Series.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Even the MZ48 may be something he wants to consider. I picked this up about a week ago and its working great for us so far (2 acres). The ZT series is a step above the MZ line - which is their cheapest line of mowers. You can get the MZ48 with a 4 year extended warranty from Tractor Supply for just under $4k. Based on my research, the MZ48 is a step above the usual big-box-store ZTR. The one from TSC has the Briggs engine - I think their 60" ZT series model has the Kohler. Most of the non-commercial units have the EZT hydrostatics in them, and from what I am reading - they aren't super reliable. The MZ has these as well, but with the extended warranty, it should cover those if they decide to crap out after a few years.

SeanF,

So if I can get a deal on a Bad Boy MZ48 for $2,999, including the extended warranty(my local TSC is trying to get rid of their last one at the end-of-season) I should stop looking and pull the string on that.....right??? I've been trying to find an end-of-season deal on a higher end residential or entry level commercial and am willing to spend $5K-$6K....but why spend that much when I can get a decent Bad Boy that's better than what Lowes, Home Depot or Sears sells for half that much.....right???

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
After looking at the Bad Boys today at a dealer, then goung to TSC and looking at the MZ48(the dealer didn't carry the MZ models) I was less than impressed with the MZ48(even at $3,299). It may be a step up from a lot of the residential ZTR's you see in the big box retailers, but it was evident why the dealer didn't carry them. If they were in the showroom along side the other Bad Boy's the MZ48's cheaper build would jump out at you. The ZT60 model at TSC(the dealer did carry these) is a pretty nice residential ZTR for $5K, but for $599 more the dealer would sell me the CZT(Commercial ZT) which has the 7 gauge deck(versus the ZT's 11 gauge) and the HydroGear heavy duty Commercial ZT3400 trannie(versus the ZT's ZT3100). But the ZT60 @ TSC is definitely a decent machine(although it does have the Kohler Courage engine:0( While looking at TSC a customer came out and made a comment that he bought the MZ48 two years ago fro TSC and would NOT recommend it. He has had several problems, brought it back, TSC "sent it out for repair" and a couple of times it came back not fixed. I think I'll stick with dealers!!!

Popeye

Threads
Before you buy go look at a SnapperPro S50x and compare the build,tranny and engine. Best bang for the buck out there. Got one and love it. Just wish it had shocks on it. Commercial componets.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before you buy go look at a SnapperPro S50x and compare the build,tranny and engine. Best bang for the buck out there. Got one and love it. Just wish it had shocks on it. Commercial componets.
Popeye,
When I told the dealer that carries the Snappers I was looking for something in the $6K range he indicated the Snapper Pro was out of my range. What did you pay for yours?? I have also looked at some mowers that are right at $7K(out-the-door) and am going to offer $6850 this week(Gravely Pro-Turn152 XDC-Kawasaki 22hp FX691 engine & ZT3400 HydroGear trannies and a Bad Boy Outlaw 5400-Briggs & Stratton 30hp Commercial Cyclonic engine and ZT5400 HydroGear trannies). That Snapper dealer only showed me the Hustler Fastrak Super Duty which retails for $6K plus tax(I'm gonna offer him $5,800 out-the door cash price). Give me some more details on the Snappers and I may add them to the offer list. Thanks!!!