Burning oil.

footballfan33

Threads
Does the engine smoke? Especially when idling? Have you removed a spark plug and looked at it? Oily?
When the engine was bogging down a bunch through thick grass, smoke was coming from somewhere near the plug when I was done. The engine was so hot that I could not explore properly. Since that mow, I have not seen this smoking, nor have a mowed grass that high or thick.

footballfan33

Threads
I’m going to get asked over the coals for this, but here goes. According to the owners manual and service manual for Kohler‘s EFI engines you should be using a 10W-30 oil, not 10W-50. Second I don’t understand 4 oil changes in 56 hrs, if your burning oil. One change after breaking and a second at 50 hrs would make sense to me and if oil level drops a top off. How much oil are you burning, over what time period? In this case 2+2= ??? to me
I’m going to get asked over the coals for this, but here goes. According to the owners manual and service manual for Kohler‘s EFI engines you should be using a 10W-30 oil, not 10W-50. Second I don’t understand 4 oil changes in 56 hrs, if your burning oil. One change after breaking and a second at 50 hrs would make sense to me and if oil level drops a top off. How much oil are you burning, over what time period? In this case 2+2= ??? to me.

footballfan33

Threads
I’m going to get asked over the coals for this, but here goes. According to the owners manual and service manual for Kohler‘s EFI engines you should be using a 10W-30 oil, not 10W-50. Second I don’t understand 4 oil changes in 56 hrs, if your burning oil. One change after breaking and a second at 50 hrs would make sense to me and if oil level drops a top off. How much oil are you burning, over what time period? In this case 2+2= ??? to me.
The first oil change occurred when the filter cracked and basically leaked everything out after mowing very thick country gras which was about 10 inches high (mulching deck). The second change happened around 15 hours later when the engine burnt all the new oil within 10 hours. I downloaded a manual which now seems to have disappeared, or I got the wrong one when I searched for b27i manual.
my assumption is that I got the wrong manual stating my Koehler engine used this oil. I’m a novice, and when novices read things sometimes we don’t pay attention to details we don’t understand. I think your 2+2=5 may be the best advice I can receive.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first oil change occurred when the filter cracked and basically leaked everything out after mowing very thick country gras which was about 10 inches high (mulching deck). The second change happened around 15 hours later when the engine burnt all the new oil within 10 hours.

Cracked the oil filter. Something definately wrong or abused

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cracked the oil filter. Something definately wrong or abused
Yep! Probably the wrong piece of equipment for the job. The mulching deck is 100% wrong for the job. A mulching deck cannot process that grass. Side discharge only and make the first cut at the highest deck setting.
Cracked oil filter? Loss of oil? Not good.

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Using that mower to do that job , especially with a mulching blade , would be similar to a Yugo pulling a 20' car hauler trailer loaded with a 1 ton dually .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Using that mower to do that job , especially with a mulching blade , would be similar to a Yugo pulling a 20' car hauler trailer loaded with a 1 ton dually .
I knew there was some reason we had trouble on grades.

footballfan33

Threads
When I can keep it short (no rain keeping me from mowing) it works great. But the yard is unusable with grass clippings from a side discharge when it wasn’t already short to begin with.
I use my side discharge on the perimeter as much as possible.