Burning oil.

lbrac

Threads
How much is the oil level dropping between changes? You'll need to know how much the oil level it dropping, in however many hours, if you get the dealer involved for a potential warranty issue. Are you checking the oil w/ the engine level after the oil has time to drain back into the crankcase, if it has been run recently? Over filling will cause oil to be carried into the combustion chamber and cause burning and consumption. It could also pressurize the seals and cause leaks. If you don't see oil anywhere on the machine, put newspaper or cardboard beneath the engine area after running and let it stay overnight to look for the leakage of oil. Regardless of the brand of oil you use, follow the manufacturer's recommendation (see MParr's post w/ Kohler's recommendations).

lbrac

Threads
Yep! Probably the wrong piece of equipment for the job. The mulching deck is 100% wrong for the job. A mulching deck cannot process that grass. Side discharge only and make the first cut at the highest deck setting.
Cracked oil filter? Loss of oil? Not good.
Good call to cut twice; once at highest setting and again at normal setting. This should allow occasional use of mulching deck w/o over taxing the engine. Also, run the engine at higher RPM, especially when cutting high grass or uphill, etc., which causes a high load on the engine. Make sure the engine cooling system is clear and moving as much air as possible.

lbrac

Threads
The first oil change occurred when the filter cracked and basically leaked everything out after mowing very thick country gras which was about 10 inches high (mulching deck). The second change happened around 15 hours later when the engine burnt all the new oil within 10 hours. I downloaded a manual which now seems to have disappeared, or I got the wrong one when I searched for b27i manual.
my assumption is that I got the wrong manual stating my Koehler engine used this oil. I’m a novice, and when novices read things sometimes we don’t pay attention to details we don’t understand. I think your 2+2=5 may be the best advice I can receive.
If the engine ran w/o oil for any length of time, it might be damaged, which could cause oil consumption. Since this happened so soon after being new, it might be hard to determine if there was a defect or if it happened after the oil was lost during operation. If you have the ruptured filter, and it is the original filter, keep it to show the dealer to claim warranty. If it isn't the original filter, there might be recourse by notifying the filter manufacturer and filing a claim. I suspect either type of claim will require the ruptured filter as proof.

What happened after the 2nd oil change, when the engine lost the oil?