Build it yourself tool holder

Hershey

Threads
Are there any instructions online somewhere for a basic tool holder. We have so many tools without a place to be kept. We need something to keep them in or perhaps hang them on (that might be better, space wise).

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I like Roll around tool boxes and peg boards... :smile:KennyV

LandN

Threads
pegboards are the best, you can see at a glance what you have,and you can get them in woodgrain and white as well as the standard unfinished. With that being said i dont use pegboards in the garage, just a roll around, because of the layout of the garage/house the kids like to come over and play so i have things in the toolbox. if you go peg board go with the heavy duty and not the light duty.:thumbsup:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kenny's right again.......:cool:

If your tool collection is complete ( and whose tool collection is complete:eek:?) then maybe the peg board or tool bucket with the nylon fabric insert will work. But if your going to get more tools then get the rollaway tool box. I have one and I remember thinking when I bought it... why didn't I do this years ago?
The convienece and spaced you save, along with knowing exactly where everything is, is well worth the few hundred you going to spend.
If you going to get the toolbox then get one larger than you think you'll need so you won't have to buy another.

173abn

Threads
I inhearted my uncles tool cabinet and labled each drawer,I also use pegboard.When putting up pegboard be sure to put spacers behind the board or the pegs won't go on.I used 1x2s and screwed them along the edges of the board then mounted the board to the wall.that gives you a 1" space behind the board so the various hangers go in with no problems. russ

noma

Threads
Hay 173 abn

When you put those's spacers behind your peg board try not to put thing that are not to heavy on those pegs or in time it will bend the peg board, because there is no spacer behind to support the peg board there. Maybe you used the thicker peg board i didn't, mine was the 1/8 0r 1/4 inch stuff. Other then that it worked good.:eek:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The nice thing about peg boards. You can tell at a glance if anything is missing...
You can do the same with your tool boxes if you keep them organized and try to reduce 'tossed in clutter'...
Your most frequently used tools are apt to be the missing ones, as it is easy to fail to return them, if you do not have things fairly organized... :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
guess I should've said I run 1x2s the entire edge of the board and run another in the middle.Then predrill through the spacers and use deck screws to fasten it to the wall.I hange everything from szasaws,sanders etc with no problems. russ

SouthCentral

Threads
Another vote for a pegboard setup. Can't beat the versatility or the price.

dmk

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you don't want to build it yourself, you might look into a card file. These usually have dividers, and heavy duty drawers. The one I got was ten drawers high, and two wide. Not much bigger than a regular file cabinet. Was able to buy it through surplus at a university, not sure if all can sell direct. I think I paid $20 or $40. Really helps to organize, didn't reallize I had so much stuff....