Briggs Twin II stalls under load.

cpy911

Threads
I have an older Briggs Twin II. Was mowing an acre recently and ran out of gas. Got new gas and started it up, seemed to run fine, but as soon as I put it under load...moving forward or engaging the blades, the motor just stalls and dies. Eventually, I ran out of battery charge and gave up. Today, I got it started, but the engine needs a lot of choke to keep running. I finally got it all warmed up and then when I try to move forward (just releasing the brake a little) the engine stalls.
Any idea what these symptoms represent?

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The crud sitting on the bottom of the tank has goten sucked down the outlet & is plugging the fuel tank / fuel lines.

cpy911

Threads
The crud sitting on the bottom of the tank has goten sucked down the outlet & is plugging the fuel tank / fuel lines.
I will check those lines and clean them up. Thanks for the tip.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will check those lines and clean them up. Thanks for the tip.
THe usual test is to pull the cap off the tank & then the fuel line before the pump
Blow back through the line
If it is hard to blow back then suddenly becomes easy then there is a blockage
OR
Grab some sort of alternative tank and hook it up the instant the mower splays up
Mower runs through all of the alternative fuel again = blockage
It can stay in the tank and be very difficult to remove

cpy911

Threads
Checked fuel lines and fuel tank. Seems to look good. Good flow. It’s very strange I can start the engine normally but when I try to engage blades or let go of the break it instantly dies. Showing a video at link.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Checked fuel lines and fuel tank. Seems to look good. Good flow. It’s very strange I can start the engine normally but when I try to engage blades or let go of the break it instantly dies. Showing a video at link.
i requested access

cpy911

Threads
My bad. I was trying to jump start it when in the field. I could not manage the seat shut off switch and jumper cables, so I jumped the seat switch with a wire. Evidently, that disables the ability to engage blades or release brake and have the engine running. Sorry for the runaround.

Everything working fine now, by plugging in the seat shut off switch. Thank you!

Last edited: