Briggs & Stratton

shoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I have a 4 year old Craftsman riding mower with a 21hp B&S engine. Have had trouble with blown head gaskets (2) and another problem when it wouldn't start even with new battery. Tole it in and it was fixed, it was a blown something or other.
Anyway with so many people having head gasket problems with B&S what are my alternatives? I mow about 2 acres and can't go very long without a mower. Help!!!!

Thanks so much, Shoe

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
For some reason when a head gasket is replaced the person doing the job just changes the gasket without taking a straight edge and finding out what the problem is or is torqueing the head bolts wrong??? No wonder a 4 year old mower keeps blowing out head gaskets, there has to be a reason. I see it a lot in my shop a customer installs a new battery with dirty cable ends and now the mower will not start, just one of many reason for not starting.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm betting reynoldston hit it right on the head. The cylinder head was not checked for being flat and/or the head bolts were not torqued properly. Find thee a new mechanic.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
I'm going to move this thread over to our Briggs & Stratton section. :smile:

Hoping you get back to mowing soon.