Briggs & Stratton Coil fails when hot

Oddjob

Threads
Swamp Fox, do you have an autochoke on this mower? If you have spark but it won’t restart when hot, it could that your choke is closed. See the thread titled Briggs auto choke, Tiger Small Engine gives a great explanation of the system and offers some advice about dealing with the hot restart problem.

whiteshu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine: #13L332-0001 E8
Coils: 590818 One from Briggs & Stratton, and one from Home Depot.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just reread this thread and I see there are at least two people who have different problems posting in the same thread. That is a NO-NO, as it gets very confusing for everyone. Whiteshu, the first thing I would do is get a new mechanic, as he has no idea what a Hall effect trigger is or where it is located. The coils you purchased are the correct coils for your engine. Are you sure that you mounted the coils correctly? The kill wire tab on the coil should be down and the air gap should be .010”. Double check both.
SwampFox, the condition you described is common and know to techs as a hot short or hot open in the coil. Fix is to replace the coil.

whiteshu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for that gentle scolding. I thought my problem was similar to those posting. I would like to benefit from this website while following the rules. Please suggest away to post my problem.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just start a new thread. Include all engine and unit numbers, plus the best description of the problem and what you have done to this point to resolve the problem.