Briggs Stratton 80202 gas leak

articaine

Member
Hi Rivets, Engineman, and all,

Just to refresh my situation from http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small-engine-mower-repair/10709-need-shot-gas-into-choke-start.html All went well. :thumbsup: I seem to have a little bit of a leak from between the gas tank and the carb. :thumbdown:

When I cleaned out the carb in my post above I replaced the gasket in between the tank/carb. There seems to be 3 screws that holds them together and they are tight. Perhaps there is some debris that I didn't remove off the tank. In any case, when I remove this and find that there is debris I will clean it off, but will it be an issue to ensure no leaks with a silicone gasket material along with the OEM gasket?

Thanks for the replies.
 
Last edited:
You do not want to use any sealer, It could plug thing up...
Clean and dry on a flat surface will seal it properly.... :smile:KennyV
 
No, only 3 from the top. One of which has a clip to hold the fuel line. Do you have a diagram pointing to this screw?

Well sometimes there is a screw, and sometimes "this screw" is actually the screw that mounts the air filter to the carb. If attempting to start with the air filter screw off will allow excess fuel to enter the engine. If this is the case when starting with the air filter off, always screw that screw into the carb
 
You could try to double the gasket. Sounds like the tank might be warpped.

Rivets,

Finally got around to placing 2 gaskets. It seemed to make things worse, more gas leaks out. How would a gas tank get warped?

Any suggestions? Silicone is no good?
 
If you feel you need to use a sealer...
Try something that will be tolerant of gasoline ... permatex Aviation#2 or permatex right stuff.
Anything else is going to dissolve sooner or later causing all kinds of grief... today's gas has a lot of additives that will eat most things up...

Thin steel can easily warp... If you place a flat edge over the surface, how much gap do you see?
:smile:KennyV
 
Back
Top