Briggs Quantum Shooting White Smoke everywhere upon startup

jakesmurray

Threads
  • / Briggs Quantum Shooting White Smoke everywhere upon startup
I recently acquired this Briggs Quantum engine mounted on a new Poulan deck. I removed the air filter (which wasn't that dirty) and air filter cover to get to the carb. It appears very clean. I filled the tank (it was empty and dry) with fresh gas and attempted to start it. It didn't do anything. Then I sprayed quick start into the carb. It fires once, and shoots white smoke out from everywhere. Out the muffler, out the carb, and I'm assuming out of the head gasket. My question is, since it appears that it's coming from that general area, can I assume that the head gasket is blown? Would a compression test confirm this? I have a compression tester, but I haven't checked this engine yet. The engine is from 1988, so it's certainly used. Oh and by the way, the spark plug looks like it is also from 1988. The hex part is completely rusted. I wouldn't think changing it at this point would do any good, I think I have a bigger problem. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

quantum.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because of the compression release mechanism, compression tests are less than useless.
Leak down test work.
As you are going to sell this engine, do the right thing by the customer and pull the head.
A new gasket is less than $ 10 and becomes a selling point.
While it is off give the valves & seats a once over, If you have the Newey gear ( a worthwile investment if you are going to do this sort of thing long term ) it takes about 10 minutes.
Then you have a motor with " new head gasket & serviced valves" which you can sell with confidance.

jakesmurray

Threads
Just found a good video on YouTube covering the head gasket replacement. Looks very simple. I think I will go ahead and do it right...

jakesmurray

Threads
Well guys I ended up letting this one go as is. I got $30 out of it. I decided I had too many other projects going on now to warrant another one. The guy that purchased it from me said he was going to replace the head gasket and use it. :thumbsup:

mower.JPG

jakesmurray

Threads
There was a reply asking about the deck but now I don't see it. Anyway, the deck is not original, the old one had rusted out. The older gentleman I got it from had the new deck, and I swapped everything over (engine, wheels, handle, etc.) :thumbsup:

primerbulb120

Threads
I was wondering why the rest of the mower looked so much older than the deck! Did he actually order a brand new deck or did he just happen to have it?

jakesmurray

Threads
I was wondering why the rest of the mower looked so much older than the deck! Did he actually order a brand new deck or did he just happen to have it?

He said he ordered it new. He definitely got the right one, everything fit on the Poulan deck perfectly, no drilling/cutting/modifying necessary. The old deck is the one I'm using as the engine stand for the Briggs I'm working on in my other thread.

primerbulb120

Threads
Wow. It's not very often that anyone buys a brand new deck for their push mower. :eek:

primerbulb120

Threads
Kind of reminds me of an old Poulan I've got in my shed.

(Yes, it's a little off topic, but who doesn't like looking at mower pictures? :wink:)

jakesmurray

Threads
Wow. It's not very often that anyone buys a brand new deck for their push mower. :eek:

Yeah I'm not real sure what he was thinking with the motor being in the condition it was... :confused2: