Briggs Outboard Carb Adjustment

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The problem with just checking to passages are clear with spraying fluid into passages is there are some cross passages that can't be visual checked like those around the non removal nozzle.

rebelyell

Threads
That's a good point. For as much as I do this, I should probably invest in an ultrasonic cleaner.

rebelyell

Threads
Never noticed a welch plug in the bottom. Either it's never been there (unlikely) or it was removed by a previous owner. It's ran fine for me many seasons without it, but I guess I'll be putting one of those in this week. Might as well pull the other one and replace it too.

It's sitting in a vat of carb cleaner now.

Attachments

• 0321221806_HDR.jpg
    0321221806_HDR.jpg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 13

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And avoid using carb cleaner sprays
Whatever they make the check valves out of , most seem to be adversely affected by the sprays
For once I will endorse a factory branded product
The very expensive Walbro carb cleaner spray is worth the pot of gold it costs.
What I have noticed is if a cleaned carb ( using std spray) is reassembled and run strait away it seems to work
But if you run carb spray through the carb then leave it for a couple of hours then the check valves stick closed
I rarely use any carb cleaner at all now days
I use spray degreaser to test the passageways because it is cheap & seems to have no ill effects
Then a "flush" with WD40 followed by low pressure air
The original ultrasound has worked to death & I replaced it with 2 new units
A small one sold for jewlery for cube carbs and a really big one for mower parts .
The small unit is almost dead again but it runs near full time in my shop

northcreeek262

Threads
Check to see if the tip of the idle screw is broken off and stuck in the hole. Had this happen on an Evinrude and it drove me nuts until I found it. It was impossible to get the tip out so I got another carb on FeeBay.

rebelyell

Threads
I never thought to check this. I'll have a look tonight.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Did you set the high speed mixture first? My experience tells me to always set high first, then idle.
When you say idle screw, are you talking idle mixture or idle speed? If it needs a choke, you most likely have plugage in the carb if no mixture setting makes a correction. There is also a service buletin on that carb system. Model info - means I do not research it.

rebelyell

Threads
Carb is completely clean and idle mixture screw is unbroken. Removed the welch plug in the side and made sure all passages were clear. Reinstalled the two new welch plugs and put it all back together. Zero fuel getting through the carb now. I've done something wrong. Maybe I didn't seal the welch plugs good enough. I was in a slight hurry.

I'll pull it apart once more tomorrow after work and try again.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
is there fuel in the bowl?

rebelyell

Threads
Yep. Fuel getting to it, just not through it.