Briggs Intek 24hp - Still Smoking after Two New Heads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Briggs Intek 24hp - Still Smoking after Two New Heads
No arguement about that Walt.
I suppose some time I should go to the effort of clocking the cams but like you I have better things to do with my time.
Use both methods depending upon what is the recommendations .
However they are lawn mowers and if the passionate want to do it a different way then let them do it and be happy.
Like religious beliefs people seem to be way to passionate about the method of setting valve lash.
I look at it this way, at least they are setting the lash.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Question is are novices setting them to really proper clearance being advised to using alternate Methodists? We all know that B&S is tolerant and will "run" without necessarily being at the precise setting. Example many years ago when people started recommending to use a business card to set air gap. I mic'ed 50 - 60 business cards finding them running all the way from .008 to .018 with larger companies and more successful being thicker. The engines were running so was that advice OK? Now they are all pretty well uniform.

Walt Conner

PS: Another true story, about 65 years ago I was in the shop of the largest lawnmower dealer in Terre Haute, IN. I was looking over the Service Tecs. workbench and tools. I didn't see a torque wench. I asked him what he used for a torque wrench. He said. "My false teeth, when they grit, I quit tightening". Don't think he was pulling my leg as I couldn't find a torque wrench. His engines were running so that was OK. Actually, I was using about the same method myself at that time and my engines were running also. Did see a broken crankshaft hanging over his work bench to remind himself to use a puller rather than the pry and hit method.

his workbench and tools.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Funny you should mention the business card thing.
When we had the courier business and 2 customers did instant printing of photos for models & hand out photos for performers
We would regularly go to the paper suppliers & get sheets of board for him.
No 2 were ever printed on the same weight board.
I have always used stiff plastic wrapping , the stuff shirt boxes were made from back in the days when shirts were made properly & were an expensive & valued item of clothing.
Last one I checked was .006" so I am still checking wrappings to find some 0.010" to cut some more spacers from.
The old side valve long strokes do not care much about accurate timing but the square OHV's are lot more sensitive to timing than most would think .
Unfortunately we no longer teach kids physics or electricity any more so that can not appreciate that the gap width will vary the timing according to the inverse square law.