Briggs Intek 20hp quits after 5-10 mins

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it running proper now? Time for an update.

slomo

rusty1778

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it running proper now? Time for an update.

slomo
I hooked it up with a pony tank and it ran it dry, no issues. I removed the main fuel tank and replaced the line. Honestly couldn't find what the issue was. I haven't had it for a long run since switching back to the main tank. I've also since set the valves but they weren't bad, right side was maybe 2 thou loose. I'll check back if there is still a problem running it on the main tank.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hooked it up with a pony tank and it ran it dry, no issues. I removed the main fuel tank and replaced the line. Honestly couldn't find what the issue was. I haven't had it for a long run since switching back to the main tank. I've also since set the valves but they weren't bad, right side was maybe 2 thou loose. I'll check back if there is still a problem running it on the main tank.
Grass clippings find their way into the tank.
Over time fuel replaces the water in the clippings which makes them transparent and almost the same density as the fuel so they float around in the fuel.
As fuel is drawn out of the discharge hole they get sucked into it blocking off the holes like hair in a shower drain.
As soon as you turn the mower off they float away so they can repeat this little trick on a regular basis & drive you mad.
Tank has to be allowed to dry fully then I use an long air duster to blow them all out , takes a lot longer than you would expect.

rusty1778

Forum Newbie
Threads
Grass clippings find their way into the tank.
Over time fuel replaces the water in the clippings which makes them transparent and almost the same density as the fuel so they float around in the fuel.
As fuel is drawn out of the discharge hole they get sucked into it blocking off the holes like hair in a shower drain.
As soon as you turn the mower off they float away so they can repeat this little trick on a regular basis & drive you mad.
Tank has to be allowed to dry fully then I use an long air duster to blow them all out , takes a lot longer than you would expect.
You may have been right on this, we removed the tank, emptied it and flushed it and blew it out. I replaced the fuel line as well. Never seen and obvious problem but it runs like a top for hours now. Thanks for all the help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I learned this the very hard way
The Landlord has 5 2000 series Cubs that we use to mow the pasture & orchards with
They were all bought 2nd ( or more ) hand and we spent a very long summer ripping into these engines & replacing all sorts of things
These are Horizontal engines so getting to the coils is a big job.
We changed the oil for heavier one twice , filters, fuel lines you name it , even thought of putting auxillary fan to get better air flow over the engine.
Turned out to be grass clippings in the fuel tank and the tanks are a PIA to remove
So now it is an annual job, take the rear guards off, clean around the hydro and clean the tank.