Export thread

Briggs carb, what is this opening for?

J

JBtoro

I often cut my own gaskets. When doing so on one of my B&S engines (8.75 OHV Professional Series on a Deere push mower), I had a bit of difficulty lining up & cutting the opening circled in orange on the gasket. It mates up to the hole also in orange on the carb. Then I stopped to think, what is this opening for? On a carb off of a standard 6.75, 7.0, 7,25, etc.Briggs flathead, there is also an opening on a slightly different style carb and I believe it is there to facilitate the primer pulse if the engine has a primer bulb. Well and good, but the engine on my Deere has an auto choke, not a primer. So, again, I'm wondering what this opening does? I'll bet someone here knows.

1612114376212.png

R

Rivets

Take the bowl off and spray some carb cleaner into the hole. If it comes out inside the bowl area it is a bowl vent, and/or a you stated a primer passage way. In either case I would not cover the hole with a gasket.

StarTech

StarTech

Is it really the trouble for a $1 gasket? And btw it is the primer and it need to be still open as it is also a fuel bowl vent.

I

ILENGINE

That is a bowl vent that is used in combination with the primer bulb.

J

JBtoro

Is it really the trouble for a $1 gasket? And btw it is the primer and it need to be still open as it is also a fuel bowl vent.
Thank you. Please send me a link wher
Thanks. I thought it must be a vent of some sort. BTW, please send a link where I can buy the gasket for $1 including shipping.

J

JBtoro

That is a bowl vent that is used in combination with the primer bulb.
Thanks. As I said in my original post, this mower is auto choke; ie, no primer bulb. Maybe Briggs included it just in case this carb could also be used with a primer bulb engine although the only engines I know of in this so-called "Professional" series are auto choke.

StarTech

StarTech

One thing you to take into account is that I am a repair shop owner. Also no where I said it included shipping.

As for me I them 20 ea at a time along with other parts so the actual is very near $1 ea plus a few cents. Matter of the last ones actually cost me 0.57 ea but that was a couple years and I still got 9 of them on hand.

But here where to find the Rotary version of the Briggs 691894 gasket. Their S&H is $6.99 regrads the size of the order so for me to just order 20 ea the price becomes $1.35 but as said I order other items which actually reduce the overall shipping cost to near the $1.

https://www.mfgsupply.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=23-13224

Today if I place them the order I sending in for these using the Oregon, my cost would $1.15 ea as the order has free shipping.

B

Born2Mow

Doesn't matter if the carb has priming bulb or not. If fuel is to freely enter the float bowl, then air has to leave, and vice-versa.

J

JBtoro

Okay. Good discussion; that's what I was hoping for.

B

bertsmobile1

think the walk in retail price is about $ 2.50 AUS down here at any mower shop and every one carries them .
I charge $ 2 if you are an unknown walk in or they are part of a job.
If you are a regular customer and ask for one then it costs a "thank you" .
They cost is around 50¢ and as per Star I have to buy them in packs of 20 if bought locally but usually buy them in lots of 500 for 17¢ each from a supplier in Hong Kong
The fit is critical or they leak & the mower won't start or surges and you chance of cutting a good one by hand is less than 1 %
Making matters worse is this filter holder is highly prone to warping and leaking all by itself even is the gasket is good .

StarTech

StarTech

The gasket and carburetor in this discussion are both is a newer design; therefore, the cloners haven't gotten into making them as much here in the US but places like a HK supplier of mine does have them for 0.156 ea usd. The problem is it takes nearly two months to get them so they have to be a stock order of size keeps them in stock for quick delivery. If ordering them from from a local distributor then we have to buy at a convenience price. This just a matter of supply and demand.

This particular gasket and filter base I don't have much of a history with but the earlier design the filter base is highly prone to warping and usually requires a modify wedge gasket setup using two gaskets so I need to stock twice as many gaskets.

It is just like the Zama and Walbro carburetor repair kits that I stock. If I only order them on a as needed basic I would need to pay a premium price for them which currently Stihl wants a premium on top of a premium price for the Zama kits. What worst is Stihl is having Zama to purge as much info from their system as they can and Stihl is using their own SKU number system to further hind the RB kits from us. An example is the RB161 kit. The local Stihl dealer fetches $23 for the kit when I can get them for 1.45 ea when I buy 10 ea out of HK. Of course I charge less for those kits although it is still around $10. This covers the shipping and storage of the parts locally. I make and the customer saves money so we both are happy; otherwords, a good deal for both of us.