Briggs carb, what is this opening for?

JBtoro

Threads
I often cut my own gaskets. When doing so on one of my B&S engines (8.75 OHV Professional Series on a Deere push mower), I had a bit of difficulty lining up & cutting the opening circled in orange on the gasket. It mates up to the hole also in orange on the carb. Then I stopped to think, what is this opening for? On a carb off of a standard 6.75, 7.0, 7,25, etc.Briggs flathead, there is also an opening on a slightly different style carb and I believe it is there to facilitate the primer pulse if the engine has a primer bulb. Well and good, but the engine on my Deere has an auto choke, not a primer. So, again, I'm wondering what this opening does? I'll bet someone here knows.

1612114376212.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the bowl off and spray some carb cleaner into the hole. If it comes out inside the bowl area it is a bowl vent, and/or a you stated a primer passage way. In either case I would not cover the hole with a gasket.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Is it really the trouble for a $1 gasket? And btw it is the primer and it need to be still open as it is also a fuel bowl vent.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a bowl vent that is used in combination with the primer bulb.

JBtoro

Threads
Is it really the trouble for a $1 gasket? And btw it is the primer and it need to be still open as it is also a fuel bowl vent.
Thank you. Please send me a link wher
Thanks. I thought it must be a vent of some sort. BTW, please send a link where I can buy the gasket for $1 including shipping.

JBtoro

Threads
That is a bowl vent that is used in combination with the primer bulb.
Thanks. As I said in my original post, this mower is auto choke; ie, no primer bulb. Maybe Briggs included it just in case this carb could also be used with a primer bulb engine although the only engines I know of in this so-called "Professional" series are auto choke.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
One thing you to take into account is that I am a repair shop owner. Also no where I said it included shipping.

As for me I them 20 ea at a time along with other parts so the actual is very near $1 ea plus a few cents. Matter of the last ones actually cost me 0.57 ea but that was a couple years and I still got 9 of them on hand.

But here where to find the Rotary version of the Briggs 691894 gasket. Their S&H is $6.99 regrads the size of the order so for me to just order 20 ea the price becomes $1.35 but as said I order other items which actually reduce the overall shipping cost to near the $1.

https://www.mfgsupply.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=23-13224

Today if I place them the order I sending in for these using the Oregon, my cost would $1.15 ea as the order has free shipping.

Born2Mow

Threads
Doesn't matter if the carb has priming bulb or not. If fuel is to freely enter the float bowl, then air has to leave, and vice-versa.

JBtoro

Threads
Okay. Good discussion; that's what I was hoping for.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
think the walk in retail price is about $ 2.50 AUS down here at any mower shop and every one carries them .
I charge $ 2 if you are an unknown walk in or they are part of a job.
If you are a regular customer and ask for one then it costs a "thank you" .
They cost is around 50¢ and as per Star I have to buy them in packs of 20 if bought locally but usually buy them in lots of 500 for 17¢ each from a supplier in Hong Kong
The fit is critical or they leak & the mower won't start or surges and you chance of cutting a good one by hand is less than 1 %
Making matters worse is this filter holder is highly prone to warping and leaking all by itself even is the gasket is good .