Briggs Binds up after replacing sump gasket

tim4

Threads
I am working on a briggs 286707 engine and I replaced the sump gasket with a 15 thousands gasket. After I tighten the sump bolts the engine turns hard. If I loosen the bolts it turns easier. There is no shim on the crank shaft about the gear so not sure what I have no end play with the crank shaft.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a thicker gasket
Usually the gaskets come in a pack of 3 different sizes to adjust the end float and some times you need to fit all 3

tim4

Threads
Get a thicker gasket
Usually the gaskets come in a pack of 3 different sizes to adjust the end float and some times you need to fit all 3
Thank you I will try that.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure that the oil slinger/governor is sitting in place correctly, it is possible to install it off to the side if not pushing the paddle correctly.

tim4

Threads
Make sure that the oil slinger/governor is sitting in place correctly, it is possible to install it off to the side if not pushing the paddle correctly.
Yes I always check that thanks.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Pick the engine up and drop it 6 inches on the PTO end of the crankshaft on a soft pc of wood, (2X4) now see if you can feel any play at all when you grasp the PTO end of crankshaft and alternately push and pull. IF you can feel any movement, end play is OK, if nothing then need thicker or additional gasket.

Walt Conner

tim4

Threads
I did something similar to that, I t
Pick the engine up and drop it 6 inches on the PTO end of the crankshaft on a soft pc of wood, (2X4) now see if you can feel any play at all when you grasp the PTO end of crankshaft and alternately push and pull. IF you can feel any movement, end play is OK, if nothing then need thicker or additional gasket.

Walt Conner
I did something similar to that I tapped the pto side of the crankshaft with a mallet. It still turned hard so the extra gaskets came in today so I will try adding the thinner one tomorro.