Briggs and Strattoon top pully removal out of a Swisher Big Mow

tagpop

Threads
  • / Briggs and Strattoon top pully removal out of a Swisher Big Mow
The clutch is also the flywheel retaining nut. They make a special wrench for removing it. But a hammer and dull (blount) metal punch (chiesel) will do. Put the punch on the 1/4 inch nut and hit it (horizontally) with the hammer and it will come loose. Hit firmly but not to hard or to many times it is made of aluminum and breakable. You can also use channel lock pliers or pipe wrench depends on the depth of your toolbox.

tagpop

Threads
The clutch is a retainer nut. Use you Channel Lock pliers to unscrew the clutch unit. Or a pipe wrench.Hold the flywheel and loosen the clutch "its just a big nut".

tagpop

Threads
If your clutch gets damaged, I have many used clutches like yours.

DeadmanRoss

Forum Newbie
Threads
The model is 195707-0430-E1. The code next to that is 981015YD if that helps. I've looked up the exploded view of the motor and I haven't seen any where an image of that pulley. Probably something that Swisher had done specially for that engine. Here is a picture of the top of the motor. I've tried a pulley puller but it just ended up bending the pulley itself. I'm guessing that I have to use a clutch removal tool but the one I have isn't keyed correctly nor will it fit in between the pulley and the clutch.
Part number 19165 puller-flywheel only one it shows for the model number

rg69charger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is that the model number off of the engine all the number off of the mower. Lot of times the mower model is under the seat on a tag but post the lawn mower model also and name

rg69charger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is that the model number off of the engine all the number off of the mower. Lot of times the mower model is under the seat on a tag but post the lawn mower model also and name
I see that's the model of the engine host the model of the mower

muddy51

Threads
Hello Lavatan,
In picture ...13, the square shaft on the top is a clutch for the recoil starter. Give it a spin by hand and it should turn freely in one directon and catch the crankshaft and turn the engine
in the other direction. The bottom have of this starter clutch screws onto the crankshaft. Remove the 4 small screws on the bottom half and the top half will pull off revealing 5 loose balls.
remove the balls. Then take a medium to large flathead screwdriver and put the end on the screwdriver against on of the tit's on the edge of the bottom half of the clutch and hit it with a
hammer to loosen it (counter-wise). After breaking it loose unscrew and remove the bottom half. The end of the crankshaft is tapered and there is a woodruff(half-moon) key that the flywheel
fits down on. Using 2 large screwdrivers or small pry bars pry up on the bottom of the flywheel and it will come off the crankshaft. Be careful about where these prybars touch the flywheel and
engine block because it is easy to damage either of them. It is also possible to do damage to the bottom of the starter clutch when using the hammer/screwdriver so be careful there as well.
Once you do this you will know the "trick" and it will be simple from then on. This assemble is common to most briggs and many other brands of small engines with recoil starters. Your particular
engine could also be equipped with an electrical starter motor. That starter clutch tool from Amazon looks very useful as well but I've never owned one. It's actually quicker to do than to read
all this.