Briggs and Strattoon top pully removal out of a Swisher Big Mow

lavatan

Threads
  • / Briggs and Strattoon top pully removal out of a Swisher Big Mow
Hello Everyone,

I'm rebuilding my mower engine and I'm trying to get the top pulley off the motor. I haven't been able to find another motor that looks like this and the clutch removal socket that I bought does not fit. In the Big Mow mowers there is a pulley that sits on top of the flywheel and it surrounds the clutch. Does anyone know what clutch removal tool I'd need and/or a way to remove the pulley?

lavatan

Threads
This is the kind of mower I'm talking about. On top of the motor is a drive pulley that drives the front wheel when you push down on the pedal you can see on the right side.

Attachments

• post-8002-0-56620200-1417040987.jpg
    post-8002-0-56620200-1417040987.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 28

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can you put up a pic of your engine and the pulley?

lavatan

Threads
I will post that tonight when I get home from work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually when taking drive off the flywheel end they use the holed for the puller to hold an adapter shaft which fits over the top of the crankshaft end.
A model number off the engine & the mower will help greatly otherwise you are limiting the pool of potential helpers to those who have a similar model Swisher which is a small number of people to start with , then the off chance they are actually on this forum.

lavatan

Threads
The model is 195707-0430-E1. The code next to that is 981015YD if that helps. I've looked up the exploded view of the motor and I haven't seen any where an image of that pulley. Probably something that Swisher had done specially for that engine. Here is a picture of the top of the motor. I've tried a pulley puller but it just ended up bending the pulley itself. I'm guessing that I have to use a clutch removal tool but the one I have isn't keyed correctly nor will it fit in between the pulley and the clutch.

Attachments

• IMG_1912_copy.jpg
    IMG_1912_copy.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1913[1].JPG
    IMG_1913[1].JPG
    704.9 KB · Views: 57

Richard320

Threads
This looks really familiar. Reminds me of an ancient lawnmower I took apart when i was about 14. It didn't go back together, but that's another story...

Anyway, I have an old book so I looked a little. Looks to me like that housing with the four bolts screwed into it is the flywheel nut. I'd either remove one of those small bolts, install a longer one, slip a lever in and give the lever a smack with a hammer to loosen the nut, or try to disassemble the ratchet part and see if I could fit something inside that nut to turn it.

Attachments

• scan1.jpg
    scan1.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 37
  • scan2.jpg
    scan2.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 34