Export thread

Briggs and Stratton no oil change

reynoldston

reynoldston

Its about time that a manufacture came out with this idea. I have seen it many times a person buys a mower and never changes the oil. I can see this coming more all the time with the newer synthetic oils coming out. They say the engine runs cooler so the oil doesn't break down, time will tell??

S

SeniorCitizen

So Briggs is just now catching up with this old man. I'll bet they wish they had put me on the payroll 50 years ago.:laughing: Annual oil change isn't what Briggs needs to be paying attention to.

I see they carefully said news from MILWAUKEE rather than Beijing or Mexico City.

M

mechanic mark

If folks decide to abide by this newly famed engineering B&S technology, they will be be looking down the road at very expensive repairs or engine replacement. Engine oil cleans, cools, & lubricates, it does loose its properties over time & breaks down.

M

motoman

In your dreams, Briggs, and on the road to even more disposable machines (as in burned up). What oil doesn't pass through the head will leak out after 6 months of vibration.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Lets get into the real world. Person buys a lawn mower, Has no idea how to change the oil or cares. Not going to get there hands dirty or even has a oil pan to catch the old oil or even owns a wrench to remove the oil plug. When the mower doesn't run, buy another new one This is the average home owner that lives in my neighbor hood. They make a living pushing paper. Just because everybody are experience mechanics and own a shop full of tools on this forum not everybody has this. This is going to be the ideal mower engine for this type of person and really think that B&S knows this and coming up with something good. I have also found grease fittings are there only to let dirt in seeing this same person sure doesn't own a grease gun. All I can say it makes me money so lets keep up the good work B&S.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

So Briggs is just now catching up with this old man. I'll bet they wish they had put me on the payroll 50 years ago.:laughing: Annual oil change isn't what Briggs needs to be paying attention to.

I see they carefully said news from MILWAUKEE rather than Beijing or Mexico City.

Why would they say Beijing or Mexico City?

They produce and build all engines over usa apart from DOV
which is assembled in China and Vanguard which is Jap.

The problem that I see with this engine is once it gets imported into the uk then import duty, tax, vat, rrp and this engine on a mower becomes expensive.
Most family folk that this is designed for will not be too happy if they have to keep buying a new mower each year for 」150 - 」200.

S

SeniorCitizen

Why would they say Beijing or Mexico City?

They produce and build all engines over usa apart from DOV
which is assembled in China and Vanguard which is Jap.

The problem that I see with this engine is once it gets imported into the uk then import duty, tax, vat, rrp and this engine on a mower becomes expensive.
Most family folk that this is designed for will not be too happy if they have to keep buying a new mower each year for 」150 - 」200.

How much is an 」150 - 」200 cost in English dollars. I'm not acquainted with the aribic money system.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

$1.00 equals 」1.54 so approx $231 - $300.
The equipment might be throw away product due to quality but not on price....

reynoldston

reynoldston

$1.00 equals 」1.54 so approx $231 - $300.
The equipment might be throw away product due to quality but not on price....

Now as I under stand this mower is designed to go better then 12 years. Not bad for no oil changes. If brought to a dealer for yearly oil changes you will spend that much money. Now I think this mower was intended for the person that wouldn't do the yearly maintenance not someone like you.

R

Rivets

The EXi engine was introduced to the public in October of 2014 and customers must still check and top off the oil as needed. In our shop we discussed how to handle this when the unit comes in for yearly service or tune-up. We've decided that the best service we can provide our customers is to change the oil. If asked why we are doing this when Briggs says you don't have to, we will explain the cleaning part of an oils job, which we feel will allow the engine to last longer. Yes, I know that some of you will say we are just trying to get a couple more bucks out of each of our customers, but with a business that has been around for more than 50 years and the vast majority of our customers being repeat, they trust us to do what we feel is the right thing for them. For those interested, this Press release might be of value. Read my signature.

Briggs and Stratton EXi Fact Sheet : 10 : 2014 : News : Newsroom : BASCO

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Now as I under stand this mower is designed to go better then 12 years. Not bad for no oil changes. If brought to a dealer for yearly oil changes you will spend that much money. Now I think this mower was intended for the person that wouldn't do the yearly maintenance not someone like you.

Im talking about if I want to sell it to a consumer in my showroom.

I dont make money on selling product but more on the service.
I want repeat service for many years.
I want engines to fail and require some tlc but maybe times are changing.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

The EXi engine was introduced to the public in October of 2014 and customers must still check and top off the oil as needed. In our shop we discussed how to handle this when the unit comes in for yearly service or tune-up. We've decided that the best service we can provide our customers is to change the oil. If asked why we are doing this when Briggs says you don't have to, we will explain the cleaning part of an oils job, which we feel will allow the engine to last longer. Yes, I know that some of you will say we are just trying to get a couple more bucks out of each of our customers, but with a business that has been around for more than 50 years and the vast majority of our customers being repeat, they trust us to do what we feel is the right thing for them. For those interested, this Press release might be of value. Read my signature.

Briggs and Stratton EXi Fact Sheet : 10 : 2014 : News : Newsroom : BASCO

I would do the same thing and change the oil.
Suck it out and good to go.
And yes I do want to sell oil to make money.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I am talking about the person that will not take the time or money to maintain a mower. The type of person that would really be better off without a lawn to mow. A lot of education but no mechanical common sense. Mower comes new with a life time supply of oil. These are the type of customers I seem to get. Also the type of person you don't think seems to exist for some reason??? but believe me they do. One of the best idea's I have seen in a long time.

S

SeniorCitizen

Lets get into the real world. Person buys a lawn mower, Has no idea how to change the oil or cares. Not going to get there hands dirty or even has a oil pan to catch the old oil or even owns a wrench to remove the oil plug. When the mower doesn't run, buy another new one This is the average home owner that lives in my neighbor hood. They make a living pushing paper. Just because everybody are experience mechanics and own a shop full of tools on this forum not everybody has this. This is going to be the ideal mower engine for this type of person and really think that B&S knows this and coming up with something good. I have also found grease fittings are there only to let dirt in seeing this same person sure doesn't own a grease gun. All I can say it makes me money so lets keep up the good work B&S.

If small engines ever go whole hog for closed fuel systems and fuel injection the small engine repair will just about be out of business. At present, old oil problems look like puppy tracks compared to old stale alcohol fuel plugged carb problems.

P

panabiker

For an engine used on a homeowner's mower, this is not a big deal. For a commercial mower that runs 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, it would be a big deal. I use my mower for about 16 hours per season as recorded by the hour meter. I use synthetic oil. I have stopped yearly oil change since 2011. I do check the oil regularly and the oil is always clean and clear so I figured there is no need to change.

B

bertsmobile1

Yep exactly right.
designed for the clot who runs out and buys a new mower because they can not start their own one.
So I can pick it up off the roadside clean up, pry off the clogged air filter, change the plug and have another unit in the sale yard.

B

bertsmobile1

I would do the same thing and change the oil.
Suck it out and good to go.
And yes I do want to sell oil to make money.

Actually the 50「 profit on selling 400ml of oil will not make me rich.
Some time ago I went to a fixed price service of $ 80.00 for push mowers includes filters, oil, blades, plug , fuel lines, fuel taps, wheel bearings , starter cord ,nuts bolts & control cables that need replacing.
Self Propelled are $ !20.

I stress that this is for a service on a running mower & not a repair on a non running mower & make every one start their mower when I book them in.

For this service I guarantee the mower will run fine till the next bi-annual service and they all leave with a tank full of nice clean fuel and a big smile.
Had one come back with a clogged air filter which I replaced no charge and gave him another to tide him over till the next service. He sent both his neighbours down. I dont get that sort of benefit from the $ 100/ month advertising and this cost $ 2.5 for 2 Quantum pre filters

This shift came by accident after a fixed price home service mower repairer rang me and asked if I was interested in the mowers in this area as he does not travel this far west of the city.
These people demmanded a "Fixed rate"before they gave me the mower so I plucked a figure out of the air not much different to Peter who charges $ 75.00 and recognising I can not get the same job density.
Worked treat so I started doing it with most of my customers and am actually making more than before because every mower gets all consummables replaced regardless .
What really got me thinking was when Peter told me he was averaging 20 mowers a day in season and 8 out of season.

So yes i can see the B&S no oil change motors being a big selling point and yes I will still replace the oil in them

reynoldston

reynoldston

Yep exactly right.
designed for the clot who runs out and buys a new mower because they can not start their old one.
So I can pick it up off the roadside clean up, pry off the clogged air filter, change the plug and have another unit in the sale yard.

Yes you do understand what I am saying :thumbsup:

reynoldston

reynoldston

If small engines ever go whole hog for closed fuel systems and fuel injection the small engine repair will just about be out of business. At present, old oil problems look like puppy tracks compared to old stale alcohol fuel plugged carb problems.

Bring it on, I would love it. Add a lot of electronics with that also, just love that type of work.

B

bertsmobile1

Yes you do understand what I am saying :thumbsup:

The person I bought this run off "retired" to a beach front village about 3-4 hours drive from Sydney.
About 2/3 of the houses there are weekend beach houses.
So Mr & Mrs office jerk get to their "piece of paradise" find the grass is 2' tall go to the remote controlled shed door pull out the mower give it a couple of tugs.
It won't start because it is full of e10 fuel so has a gummed up carb.
They then drive 1 hour to the big box shop ( past 4 mower shops ) pull out the plastic spend another $ 300- $ 1000 on a new mower, buy a gallon of e10 on the way back mow down the jungle that arvo, have a BBQ, swim then next day pack up go back to the office and push the "dead mower" out to the street in the hope some one will remove it.
They won't take the mower in for repair because they simply MUST mow that afternoon before the guest arrive for the dinner party so do not have the time for the shop to fix it.

Over dinner they bitch on to each other about how tough they are doing it, how much the cost of living is biting into their finances and worry that negative gearing on their rental property portfolio will be removed so they will loose their tax benefits.

He has been there for a bit over 2 years and to date has picked up over 100 mowers.

A friends daughter bought 25 acres and he consulted me regards a suitable mower.
They bought a $ 800 Greenfields ( local mower ).
Two months latter boyfriend seized engine ( no oil ) so picked up the phone & bought an $ 18,000 tractor because they would deliver it the next day and he wanted to mow before he went OS for a month.
These sorts will love a no oil change mower because they never look , would not know how to fix & have more money than sense

reynoldston

reynoldston

So Mr & Mrs office jerk get to their "piece of paradise"

Never call a customer that. Everybody has a place on this earth, just because it isn't lawnmower maintenance doesn't make them bad or wrong.

M

motoman

Such people need an "electronic" mower powered by huge charged capacitors with bluetooth connectivity so they can stay "in touch" while mowing. If the kids are there a second seat with TV so they do not get bored. An air nozzle should blow on the operator so no grass clippings stick to the mowing outfit. The buyer would attend a seminar to learn how to operate the buttons, and a charging system would be installed in the garage. Overhead a drone will make sure all edges are cut properly and no neighbor grass is touched. A proper price point would be establed so the masses can afford this. Kinda like the VW or Citroen in Europe...a peoples' mower. :smile:

JD is best

JD is best

Such people need an "electronic" mower powered by huge charged capacitors with bluetooth connectivity so they can stay "in touch" while mowing. If the kids are there a second seat with TV so they do not get bored. An air nozzle should blow on the operator so no grass clippings stick to the mowing outfit. The buyer would attend a seminar to learn how to operate the buttons, and a charging system would be installed in the garage. Overhead a drone will make sure all edges are cut properly and no neighbor grass is touched. A proper price point would be establed so the masses can afford this. Kinda like the VW or Citroen in Europe...a peoples' mower. :smile:
how much do you think people would pay for this "mower"

M

motoman

People would pay up to $1999 so they would not be tempted back to the gas powered units. But I think producing such a unit would involve lots of 3 D printing and Tesla might have to get involved. Terms could be offered for finance. Maybe even stock could be sold to raise money for the launch.

JD is best

JD is best

People would pay up to $1999 so they would not be tempted back to the gas powered units. But I think producing such a unit would involve lots of 3 D printing and Tesla might have to get involved. Terms could be offered for finance. Maybe even stock could be sold to raise money for the launch.
sounds like rocket science when you put it like that

P

panabiker

Most of these people would eventually hire someone to mow their lawns. When I moved into the then new development, about half of the people mowed their lawns. Now, 10 years later, about one in 10 still does.

C

cashman

The oil deal should be a non issue. If someone brings a mower into your shop for a spring tune up or other repair, and if they a looking to you as a repairmen for guidance in keeping their mower operating with the least amount of worry or expense, just tell them up front your going to change the oil and charge them for it and that will just be part of the agreement. If they don't want the oil changed, fine, don't do it. You might try to explain what we all know that the oil as well as the filters etc. need to changed from time to time. You might get a chance to educate the customer a little on mower maintenance, maybe not. Reality is that a lot of the low end homeowner type mowers never have the oil changed anyway.

reynoldston

reynoldston

The oil deal should be a non issue. If someone brings a mower into your shop for a spring tune up or other repair, and if they a looking to you as a repairmen for guidance in keeping their mower operating with the least amount of worry or expense, just tell them up front your going to change the oil and charge them for it and that will just be part of the agreement. If they don't want the oil changed, fine, don't do it. You might try to explain what we all know that the oil as well as the filters etc. need to changed from time to time. You might get a chance to educate the customer a little on mower maintenance, maybe not. Reality is that a lot of the low end homeowner type mowers never have the oil changed anyway.

Looks like its going to be a very low maintenance engine. This type of person isn't going to have yearly maintenance done to their mower unless it doesn't start or cut the grass right.

I

ILENGINE

the 411 on this engine is it has a rated life expectancy of 250 hours, and to maintain the oil in proper cleanliness, and life will require proper maintenance of the spark plug and air filter.

The people that don't change their oil will be the same people that won't maintain the air filter. So expect to do normal oil changes as part of the shop service.

highlift60

highlift60

That could not be more accurate! Well said. This never needing an oil change thing is either some sort of early April fools joke or just another way Briggs is sinking another nail into their coffin. Not ever needing to change your oil is the most absurd and ridiculous thing I've read on the internet in a long time. People talk about JohnQ Public not ever changing their oil or other basic maintenance, but I never met anyone that oblivious and that stupid in my life. Maybe I don't get out much.

M

motoman

As an accessory Briggs will offer a mobile grass spray. This is a version of the hose seen on TV which sprays green solution as a solution to bare spots. Mow and shoot. The grass will grow upside down too. All spin offs to the apps developed which soon will tend to bathroom functions. Like the man says we are "trending" to a new species with two brains-one shrinking in our skulls and the other growing on our wrists. :confused2:

reynoldston

reynoldston

That could not be more accurate! Well said. This never needing an oil change thing is either some sort of early April fools joke or just another way Briggs is sinking another nail into their coffin. Not ever needing to change your oil is the most absurd and ridiculous thing I've read on the internet in a long time. People talk about JohnQ Public not ever changing their oil or other basic maintenance, but I never met anyone that oblivious and that stupid in my life. Maybe I don't get out much.

I don't know what you did for a living. What I did was mechanic work. Now what a mechanic dose is repair broken equipment. This could be the reason I see mowers that people don't do any maintenance or change oil??? I see it more in the females and office workers. I would never call them oblivious or stupid. They know a lot more in what they do for a living then I would and I know how to repair their equipment. This also helps pay my bills so bring then on and lets get this no oil change mower going.

highlift60

highlift60

I don't know what you did for a living. What I did was mechanic work. Now what a mechanic dose is repair broken equipment. This could be the reason I see mowers that people don't do any maintenance or change oil??? I see it more in the females and office workers. I would never call them oblivious or stupid. They know a lot more in what they do for a living then I would and I know how to repair their equipment. This also helps pay my bills so bring then on and lets get this no oil change mower going.

Sorry, but such a "smart" person (or female office worker according to you; nice sexism) should have half a brain to read an owner's manual. Even a casual glance. Glad taking advantage of ignorant people is helping you pay your bills. I stand by oblivious and stupid statement.

R

Rivets

Highlift you need to get out more! Every year we'll get a half dozen units in with very little or no oil in them. One or two of them will want their engine placed under warranty. I have seen $100 mowers and $1000 generators where the customer didn't even check to see if it came with oil. One customer thought that the bottle of oil which came with his new unit was for the first oil change. I'm willing to bet that 50% of our customers, who buy a new unit from us, never look at the owners manual. Having worked in the repair business for over 40 years, I know that I'm not going to go hunger anytime soon, no matter how bulletproof they make the engines. There wil always be people who will find a way to share their money with me. The only thing that scares me is that, someone will raise the Tecumseh SnowKing engine from the dead. I think that it is an engine that just could run forever with out an oil change and very, very, very little maintenance.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Sorry, but such a "smart" person (or female office worker according to you; nice sexism) should have half a brain to read an owner's manual. Even a casual glance. Glad taking advantage of ignorant people is helping you pay your bills. I stand by oblivious and stupid statement.

So how am I taking advantage of someone because they bring a repair job to me. I should work for free or should I go to their home and check the oil before they use it?? Just because you call other people names I guess I don't have to. I can see you are very aggressive so I will try to keep my distance from you.

highlift60

highlift60

...so I will try to keep my distance from you.
I think that's smart and the smartest thing you've said. Nice job trying to turn this around on me but you failed.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I think that's smart and the smartest thing you've said. Nice job trying to turn this around on me but you failed.

I'm not very smart, never clamed to be and if that matters, not afraid of you if that is what you want. Yes you are the WINNER so I will just hang my head in shame. You won A## of the week.

B

bertsmobile1

Read an owners manual, with all that vitally important stuff on Twitter & Farce Book to get through do you think I am an idiot.
I know how it works I put gas in the big hole, oil in the small one pull the cord/ press the button & mow.

B

bertsmobile1

I have a university degree , 4 post graduate diplomas and fix mowers now for a living and am happy to do so.

Now I spend a lot of time with my customers which is why I have a lot of customers .
Some are functionally illeterate so I have taken the time to show them how to use their equipment properly and clean & maintain them.
The stuff they have is totally wrong for the work thay are doing and it was the brand name mower shop that ripped them off, flogging them $ 35,000 worth of gear that they did not need to maintain pensioners yards in residential suburbs on terms that they can not afford to repay.

As for office workers, almost every one who is a manager has a fundamental ego problem with reading instructions.
They are a manager, they control multi million dollar budgets or run big offices so how hard can it be to run a lawnmower.

Any idea how many batteries I sell because these "smart" people run their engines a 1/2 speed to "save the engine" so the batteries never fully recharge.
Or on the other hand how hard it is to sell them a set of blades because the mower is still cuting the grass good so the blades are good & I am just trying to load the bill.
Even after I tip over the mower, put a new one over theirs to show them how badly worn the blades are or take them around to the graveyard and show them all the blown decks, they still won't do it. And even worse are the really smart ones who run with unbalanced blades then try to make a warrantee claim against me when the mower throws a rod or bearing.

Life would be a lot simpler if all my customers had IQ's less than 100 or were blue collar workers .
No small shop rips off their customers , hat is the domin of big brand name shops & big box stores.
Our customers are our reputation, our advertising & our livelihood.

highlift60

highlift60

I'm not very smart, never clamed to be and if that matters, not afraid of you if that is what you want. Yes you are the WINNER so I will just hang my head in shame. You won A## of the week.

Once again, nice try. FAIL

reynoldston

reynoldston

Once again, nice try. FAIL

Now what did I FAIL in?

highlift60

highlift60

Now what did I FAIL in?

Being a decent guy and not an internet bully for one. I don't tolerate bully's.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I guess it all depends. I wasn't the one you came up with the oblivious and stupid remark.

R

Rivets

Highlift, I guess most of the experienced techs on this forum have FAILED by your definition. You probably are certified in many different areas of welding, but I can tell that you are not certified in customer identification or service. Reading your replies has me wondering if you didn't take too many DC Reverse jolts at work. Service mechanics have seen how equipment is treated by every type of individual out there. I personally would say that the higher a persons IQ, the lower the amount of maintainance which the person does on their equipment. The female gender does the least, probably due to the fact that either they don't want to or they feel they can't do it. People bring us their equipment to be repaired, because they feel we are prepared to do the job properly. They understand that they are going to have to pay for our knowledge and services. Many of us are certified by many different equipment and engine manufactures. Just like you, our tests to become certified are based on both past experience and knowledge of the manufacturers line. On top of that, we would not last long in this industry if our customer relation skills were not at the top of the scale. If you feel we are taking advantage of ignorant individuals by the services we offer, you are entitled to that opinion. Yes, those are some of the people who are helping us to pay our bills, just like an employer gave you a paycheck for doing your job. You have FAILED to see that as much as we are different than you, we are the same. It does not matter who the individual it is that you are giving money to, the SMART ones learn very fast who gives them the service they want and are paying for and return time after time. Time for you to realize that on this forum, when I think you are calling a "spade a spade" your talking about yourself also. Careful what you say, it can come back to haunt you.

JD is best

JD is best

Being a decent guy and not an internet bully for one. I don't tolerate bully's.
a bully is someone who repetitively is rude or mean to someone, I FAIL to see how how he is doing this.

highlift60

highlift60

A forum is a place to exchange intelligent, creative ideas to further a community cause. Instead I get rude and bullying remarks made by this in-bred Reynaldson and people supporting his cause of bullying. You're right, you have failed by my definition. You can't teach stupid, and you guys all have your PH.D in that regard.

R

Rivets

Highlift, you are correct, you can't teach stupid. Teachers have been trying to do this for hundreds of years. Are you telling me that a smart person is NOT being a bully by posting the exact same thread in a dozen areas of one forum. You are now being the person you feel we are, reread the last two sentences in my last post, then look in the mirror. You are just burying yourself, by throwing dirt at the techs and mechanics on this forum. A smart person would stop while he could still breath.

D

DK35vince

A forum is a place to exchange intelligent, creative ideas to further a community cause. Instead I get rude and bullying remarks made by this in-bred Reynaldson and people supporting his cause of bullying. You're right, you have failed by my definition. You can't teach stupid, and you guys all have your PH.D in that regard.
Sorry,
But the only bullying I see going on here has been from you!!

Ric

Ric

Ok Guys the all hail to the mighty reynoldston threads are removed so lets all take a thumb_chillpillsmile.gif.jpg

Boobala

Boobala

AMEN ..........