Briggs and stratton model 33R877003-G1 will only run with air intake almost all the way covered

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Briggs and stratton model 33R877003-G1 will only run with air intake almost all the way covered
You act like I don't know how to clean the carb adj valves I know it can be done incorrectly but what gives you the right to say I don't know what I'm doing. Like I said if you are so good you would give advice not sarcasm and put people down without even knowing them
Before this gets into a very personal slanging match Ohio Bob, you have to realize we have nothing to go on but what you have typed and have no idea of your technical understanding or abilities
We have had people tell us the they cleaned the carb when all they did was to spray the outside with throttle body cleaner and a bristle brush
Others will have "pulled tit apart & cleaned it" which ended up being dropping the float bowl & tossing out the bad fuel .
And most people will consider a carb clean if they poke the straw into every hole an some goop comes out some where else .
So the assumption is always the poster has no idea what they are doing till it is confirmed otherwise which is why I put the reference to the Outdoor Power Info page in post # 9 so you would know what we consider to be a properly cleaned carb.

I also asked you to do another test in post # 9
The way I work here, is I ask people to do things that all of the posters should be able to follow as we rule a cause in or out.
Normally there is nothing further from me til the question I posed has been answered or the test done & results posted .

In reply # 6 I explained what was happening and then proceeded to start to diagnose the reason for it .
No one here is deliberately trying to make you look stupid we are here to help you get your mower fixed .

ohiobob

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and stratton model 33R877003-G1 will only run with air intake almost all the way covered
OK we have ruled out a massive air leak at the carb or manifold
did you clean it according to the instructions at outdoor power info if not then it is not clean
Pull the blower housing off and have a good look at the head gasket joint for signs of leakage ( wet or exhaust stains )
If you have a can of carb cleaner, start the engine then spray SHORT shots of carb cleaner down the carb throat.
Note the engine will knock a bit when you do this but don't worry about that.
If it will run for about a minute with continual short shots of carb cleaner then that suggest a fuel supply problem
Check that the carb solenoid plunger retracts fully when the key is in the on position .
If it is a 2 wire solenoid flick it around and make sure it stays retracted .

Let us know how you go

Before this gets into a very personal slanging match Ohio Bob, you have to realize we have nothing to go on but what you have typed and have no idea of your technical understanding or abilities
We have had people tell us the they cleaned the carb when all they did was to spray the outside with throttle body cleaner and a bristle brush
Others will have "pulled tit apart & cleaned it" which ended up being dropping the float bowl & tossing out the bad fuel .
And most people will consider a carb clean if they poke the straw into every hole an some goop comes out some where else .
So the assumption is always the poster has no idea what they are doing till it is confirmed otherwise which is why I put the reference to the Outdoor Power Info page in post # 9 so you would know what we consider to be a properly cleaned carb.

I also asked you to do another test in post # 9
The way I work here, is I ask people to do things that all of the posters should be able to follow as we rule a cause in or out.
Normally there is nothing further from me til the question I posed has been answered or the test done & results posted .

In reply # 6 I explained what was happening and then proceeded to start to diagnose the reason for it .
No one here is deliberately trying to make you look stupid we are here to help you get your mower fixed .
AS I said in post # 6 I tried that and it didn't help yes I cleaned the carb according to outdoor power and checked the head gasket might be a leak at head gasket.I just don't think it was necessary for him to keep making rude stupid remarks as cleaning in crock pot I have work on a lot of mowers and know of what I'm doing I just ran into something I;ve never seen before.Thanks for your help I will get it fixed I just thought maybe someone could help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only time I have come across this problem at your magnitude it ended up being a loose rubber tip on the fuel solenoid .
However I never jump to a "fix" before doing a proper diagnosis .
Slomo has just found out about boiling carbs to clean them so had become a bit too enthusiastic advocate for this method, hence the crock pot .
It could also be a problem with the throttle not opening fully but as you know proper diagnosis starts with eliminating the most common then working your way down to the obscure

ohiobob

Forum Newbie
Threads
The only time I have come across this problem at your magnitude it ended up being a loose rubber tip on the fuel solenoid .
However I never jump to a "fix" before doing a proper diagnosis .
Slomo has just found out about boiling carbs to clean them so had become a bit too enthusiastic advocate for this method, hence the crock pot .
It could also be a problem with the throttle not opening fully but as you know proper diagnosis starts with eliminating the most common then working your way down to the obscure
OK I put a new head gasket on reset valves same problem I don't know what else to check no air leaks between carb and motor I checked it like the said.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
something changed the air to fuel mixture the day it started running goofy. Here is an example of the jet that fell out of mine. All that was left was a small threaded hole that it screwed into. Looking at it first glance it looked normal then I realized something was missing. It is small, maybe 3/8" long. If something like this fell off the exterior of your carb, it would cause problems like you have.

640018.jpg

ohiobob

Forum Newbie
Threads
something changed the air to fuel mixture the day it started running goofy. Here is an example of the jet that fell out of mine. All that was left was a small threaded hole that it screwed into. Looking at it first glance it looked normal then I realized something was missing. It is small, maybe 3/8" long. If something like this fell off the exterior of your carb, it would cause problems like you have.

640018.jpg
That jet is still in the carb when I took it apart to clean it Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Other way round SG
Something is stopping fuel getting in or letting too much air in