Briggs and Stratton engine won't stop

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Just take off the top starter cover and look. Follow the little wire to the kill switch connection. Probably needs cleaned out up there anyway.
x2

kyle1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
The throttle down on the engine, at the other end of that cable The part that you pictured earlier. Where it's in the fully closed position look for a contact.
Ha - of course, silly me. I'll take a look.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Likely just a kill mechanism on the blade brake device.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I actually have seen the switch to be used in both places and wired so. Just depends what the OEM of the equipment desired. Personally on a throttle controlled unit it makes sense to have it in both places and wired.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, it usually comes with both from the factory, so the engine can be used in all applications.

kyle1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
What seems to have happened, was the the throttle cable had been bent, meaning it had a kink in it, essentially making it shorter. This meant when the throttle was closed on the mower, it was not far enough round to make contact with the earth tag.

A few adjustments to ensure it would make contact with the earth tag fixed it. Have attached a pic of roughly where the earth tag is, in case someone else comes across this issue

Attachments

• tag-compressed.jpg
    tag-compressed.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 9