Briggs and Stratton engine won't stop

kyle1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there,

I have a Masport mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine model 10A902. It will not stop when the mower throttle is disengaged. I have attached two pictures, one with the throttle fully open, and one with it fully closed.

Is anyone able to identify which part needs replacing, or adjusted to likely fix this? Or any Briggs diagrams of what it should look like/how it should function

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 1-min.jpg
    1-min.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2-min.jpg
    2-min.jpg
    823.6 KB · Views: 25

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Do you have the Type number? it's the series of numbers after the Model numbers.
Possible Type Numbers (Click)

I don't believe the mower is stopped by the throttle closing, there should be a kill wire and "Switch"
There is a kill wire that should come from the the ignition coil, which is located under the blowerhousing right on top of the cylinder, i believe on that model it goes to the kill brake assembly which is located at the back of the engine, when you release the bail handle, the cable releases a brake pad that makes contact with the flywheel and at that same time grounds the kill wire stopping spark.

Richard320

Threads
Look around the throttle linkage bracket for signs that there used to be a plastic piece with a wire coming out of it that's supposed to get grounded against the throttle lever

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not 100% sure but looks like that model has throttle cable control. Whe moved to the idle/off position the pivoting metal piece contacts a copper connection sticking up through a small hole that should have a wire in a fahnestock style clip that grounds the ignition coil.

bogdaN

Threads
Look like that little metal piece is cover with dirt grease. I would clean that good and bend that up little.

kyle1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies!

The type number is 2135 E1.

I'll try cleaning the dirt grease out as a first step.

> Whe moved to the idle/off position the pivoting metal piece contacts a copper connection sticking up through a small hole that should have a wire in a fahnestock style clip that grounds the ignition coil.

Hmm I can't see any wire/copper sticking up to act as a ground. As I have the full model & type perhaps I can find some diagrams

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The throttle lever is the ground.

Just to note: Ignition coils do go bad this way will not kill the spark.

kyle1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
The throttle lever is the ground.

Just to note: Ignition coils do go bad this way will not kill the spark.

I've had a look inside throttle lever, and I cannot see any metal pieces inside it which I would expect to be used as a ground, style of lever picture attached.

handle.jpg

Perhaps something is missing from the second bolt hole on the frame seen in that pic?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just take off the top starter cover and look. Follow the little wire to the kill switch connection. Probably needs cleaned out up there anyway.

Richard320

Threads
I've had a look inside throttle lever, and I cannot see any metal pieces inside it which I would expect to be used as a ground, style of lever picture attached.

View attachment 55252

Perhaps something is missing from the second bolt hole on the frame seen in that pic?
The throttle down on the engine, at the other end of that cable The part that you pictured earlier. Where it's in the fully closed position look for a contact.