Briggs and Stratton Auto Choke Problem/Mystery.

Sabres321

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make sure to check all the adjustments in the following service bulletin first.

SB760
Thanks, but the problem is occurring when the engine has already been started, ran for a while, and has cooled for about 20 minutes. I’ll check this out, but the engine still seems to be warm when this problem is occurring.

I’ve switched out the thermostat (brand new), plastic auto choke armature, as well as as the new air vane spring.

wrldtvlr

Threads
It is amazing how engine manufacturers feel the need to keep redesigning something we don't need. I guess they figure people are too lazy or stupid to use a manual choke. OMG but how did we ever survive before mowers had auto chokes?
It wouldn't surprise me if this was being driven by the CARB/EPA czars as a pollution control measure. Can't be having the plebs run their mower engines too rich and fouling the air, don't cha know.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It wouldn't surprise me if this was being driven by the CARB/EPA czars as a pollution control measure. Can't be having the plebs run their mower engines too rich and fouling the air, don't cha know.
Exactly.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just to protest CARB i went out and dumped a gallon of gas on the ground and let it evaporate. ?

Davedog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 190cc in my pressure washer Troy bilt 875ex. Its a Briggs & Stratton 3826-40 and it will not start. Cleaned the gas out, put new in, checked the plug. But there is no choke and no little bulb to squeeze. It used to start when I took the filter off and squirted some gumout in the carb, but now it only runs for a few seconds, until the gumout burns up. Dead in the water. A friend of mine says check the needle valve, but I can't even find it. Can anyone help. I'm not a mechanic.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Carb needs cleaned most likely. It will be best to start your own thread as to not confuse others.

Davedog said:
I have a 190cc in my pressure washer Troy bilt 875ex. Its a Briggs & Stratton 3826-40 and it will not start. Cleaned the gas out, put new in, checked the plug. But there is no choke and no little bulb to squeeze. It used to start when I took the filter off and squirted some gumout in the carb, but now it only runs for a few seconds, until the gumout burns up. Dead in the water. A friend of mine says check the needle valve, but I can't even find it. Can anyone help. I'm not a mechanic.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry to cause confusion.
This happens when people do not post the actual engine numbers and expect the forum to know what they a
Are you referring to the newer briggs engine with the plastic carb?

I’m dealing with one like in this video here. However, if you are referring to this one, which link are you bending? Sorry, just I can’t picture the one you’re talking about.

I deal with these motors all the time, it seems like everybody has them over here. I deal with the newer ones every once in a while and they can be annoying lol.

Sorry to cause confusion
This happens because you expected us to know which 190cc engine you are working on.
The way to prevent this is to post the BRIGGS model & code numbers that Briggs go to great effort to stamp into every engine either on the blower housing, rocker cover or muffler heat shield

Sabres321

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry to cause confusion.
This happens when people do not post the actual engine numbers and expect the forum to know what they a

Sorry to cause confusion
This happens because you expected us to know which 190cc engine you are working on.
The way to prevent this is to post the BRIGGS model & code numbers that Briggs go to great effort to stamp into every engine either on the blower housing, rocker cover or muffler heat shield
No problem, I will keep that in mind next time. What other briggs engines have 190cc and a different auto choke? I thought the newer ones with auto choke had a lesser cc.