Briggs and Stratton 500e sputters after carb replacement.

Papakevin

Forum Newbie
Hello. I just replaced the carb on my Briggs and Stratton 500e edger. I also replaced the primer bulb, the air filter media, and I dumped out all of the old gas and filled it with new.

The unit now starts after three primer pumps, but sputters and eventually dies when put under load. Is there something special I should do to prime a new carb? What can I check next? FYI, there is no throttle adjustment on the unit. Thanks.
 
Please post the engine numbers, either on the shroud above the spark plug or on the shield above the muffler. Also, what was the part number of the replacement carb and did you purchase from a dealer?
 

YOUR ENGINE MODEL NUMBER​

09P602-0076-F1
D19291 AC​


It’s a Troy-Bilt TB554 edger purchased from Lowes.

Carb is an aftermarket carb from Amazon, B0B3DKJSK3.
 
Okay here is another question. What is the date code of the engine? Briggs change the carb in Oct 03, 2016 to another version.

Also Clones are known for their problems too.
 
Okay here is another question. What is the date code of the engine? Briggs change the carb in Oct 03, 2016 to another version.

Also Clones are known for their problems too.
Where can I find the exact engine date? The sticker on the gas tank just says the model year is 2014.
 
it sounds like there is either a vacuum leak or the carb is not properly providing fuel. Priming it is sending a squirt of fuel it runs off until it is gone. If you prime again and it starts again that is a clue it is not getting fuel. Maybe prime it 4 or 5 times to see if that gets it running. The carb may also be jetted too lean. I try to stay with original carbs when replacing them to avoid the crappy quality of aftermarket replacements. If I can, I will rebuild first.
 
I used part #799583 as the replacement for the motor. Would I be better off trying to clean the old carb and returning the Amazon part? How challenging is it to clean? Any tips?
 
what was wrong with the old one? What prompted you to decide the carb was the cause of whatever the mower was doing?
 
Back
Top