Briggs 625EXI rpm surging

Richard Milhous

Threads
Found the safety nazi, lol. But have you actually done the spray test for vacuum leaks before? I have never had anything catch fire and it generally works very well. The only alternative is propane, which is still dangerous. Being a mechanic is a dangerous job man. Besides the occupational hazards, you work with dozens of chemicals that cause cancer.

On cars I spread motor oil over the manifold/head join to see if it brings the vacuum up. I've never seen a mower that had any place to attach a vacuum gauge, but I bet you could hear the running difference if there's a leak.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are unavoidable hazards
There are unnecessary hazards
A wise mechanic understands the difference and acts accordingly.
During the drought I got called to a customers house to quote on purchasing all of his petrol powered equipment
Why ?
Well he was in hospital IC with massive burns and his wife wanted all of the petrol powered gear gone before he came home.
This is yet to happen he is still in a recovery ward.
How did this happen ?

Well the engine was hydrolocked but in place of turing he engine over by hand after the plugs were removed he cranked it.
Fuel shot out of the cylinders splashed all over the mower & himself then ignited, setting fire to his cloths & the mower.
As luck would happen the mower went out but his cloths & hair did not .

Now what were the chances of this happening ?
About the same as winning the lottery
However the consequences were not pretty and it was just dumb luck that the burning petrol did not end up burning the entire house down
He will be blind in one eye at least .
The house is up for sale at the moment as without his income they could not meet the loan repayments and she has moved in with her mother while their kids are with another relative.

artemjemmy

Threads
There are unavoidable hazards
There are unnecessary hazards
A wise mechanic understands the difference and acts accordingly.
During the drought I got called to a customers house to quote on purchasing all of his petrol powered equipment
Why ?
Well he was in hospital IC with massive burns and his wife wanted all of the petrol powered gear gone before he came home.
This is yet to happen he is still in a recovery ward.
How did this happen ?

Well the engine was hydrolocked but in place of turing he engine over by hand after the plugs were removed he cranked it.
Fuel shot out of the cylinders splashed all over the mower & himself then ignited, setting fire to his cloths & the mower.
As luck would happen the mower went out but his cloths & hair did not .

Now what were the chances of this happening ?
About the same as winning the lottery
However the consequences were not pretty and it was just dumb luck that the burning petrol did not end up burning the entire house down
He will be blind in one eye at least .
The house is up for sale at the moment as without his income they could not meet the loan repayments and she has moved in with her mother while their kids are with another relative.
So, Bert, what would you say is the OSHA approved alternative method for finding vacuum leaks, hmm?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I use WD 40 out of a trigger sprayer.... I don't care to be in the middle of an aresol fireball.

artemjemmy

Threads
I use WD 40 out of a trigger sprayer.... I don't care to be in the middle of an aresol fireball.
WD-40 is quite flammable as well though, especially with you spraying it in a mist form.

nbpt100

Threads
AFter opening up the main jet a few thousanths with a micro drill. Do you still have any running issues? Also did you check the valve lash? plus..... Make sure the oil is not overfilled.

artemjemmy

Threads
Would diesel work?
Yes but it would be super messy. Part of the benefit of using carb clean or brake clean is that it will evaporate and leave no mess. Both diesel or WD40 will leave a mess wherever you spray it that won't really go away