Briggs 4 HP Carb Over Tank MTD

smokeless

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the boot for holes or not on correctly. Spark plug is gapped at .030? Spark plug part number 802592S the resistor style? We will go from there.

Pulled the following comment about the boot off a parts breakdown comment from another site """"""The part fit perfect and solved the fuel pump problem"""""" Fuel delivery or too lean seems logical to me, but I have been fooled many times before.

Gotta go to town today, believe I will head to the parts counter this AM and replace the boot. Mine has an exterior but there was NO sign of penetrating all the way through.

I will double check plug

More later

smokeless

Forum Newbie
Threads
Look at this, came off the bottom of our thread as a related discussion::

They are called suction lift carbs and are common on small B&S engines. As mentioned above to clean them you just unscrew them from the tank and carfully remove the gaskets and spring. there are actually 2 gaskets (one thick one and one thin one). The thick one goes against the carb and the thin one against the tank. This is important because the thin gasket acts like a diagraphm pump and pumps fuel up from the tank. If your gaskets are damaged in any way get new ones. Spray carb cleaner in all the holes and tubes. The longest tube has a screen on the end of it. Make sure it is clean.

I will still replace boot since it is a source problems, if no soap then will reverse gaskets. Will recheck plug as well

thanks, more later

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
So the "pump" is in the tank. The diagram did not lie after all. Cool, I hope it fixes the problem.

smokeless

Forum Newbie
Threads
So the "pump" is in the tank. The diagram did not lie after all. Cool, I hope it fixes the problem.

Hope no more my friend, runs ppppeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrttyyyyy. Reversed the gaskets per diagram and fired right up.

Thanks for all the replies and the parts breakdown. That rascal never ran well and know I know why

thanks again

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am so glad to hear.