Export thread

Briggs 4 HP Carb Over Tank MTD

S

smokeless

Hello,

Boy could I use some help, flat stumped. I have a Huskie mower believe by MTD, carb over tank. Nothing fancy, just run of the mill mower.

It started surging couple years back then finally quit running. We had a small one for trimming so started using that one and put the Huskie up..

Pulled the Huskie out to work on it. Installed new plug, changed oil, cleaned filter, cleaned carb and installed new gasket/diapham, fresh gas and on the first pull it started and ran for about one minute then stalled. So, I primed it again and this time it started, ran a second or so then shut down. I perceived fuel issue so once I got it started again I hit the primer few times and it would try to keep running. Therefore I figured fuel delivery. So I installed NEW carb, same issue. ACtion so far:

1. Installed new carb, gasket and diapham.
2. New springs, air filter, spark plug.

Dunno where else to check. Continual problem is I prime it, starts first or second pull, revs up then shuts down right down. STill will try to run if I manually prime it. Governor seems to working fine, it moves freely. I believe shut off ground circuit ok.

Any suggestions for places to check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Butch

Sorry, model number coming

BlazNT

BlazNT

Model numbers off the engine and mower please.

S

smokeless

Sorry, I meant to include but slipped up.

Model: 10J9020342 E1

CODE: 05021753

thanks

ADDED: Oops again, gotta get mower frame numbers, back to the garage

S

smokeless

MTD STicker on mower deck

Model: 11A-054D7314423666

Serial: 1B285K32249

thanks

BlazNT

BlazNT

Now that I have had time to look everything over...
1. Did you put the diaphragm on the tank then the spacer or other way around?
2. Did you clean the mesh filter that is around the main jet?
3. Did you clean the pickup tube?
4. Did you remove the pickup tube? (If you did have you checked for cracks or breakage on it)

S

smokeless

I am pretty sure diaphram on carb side (with new spring on carb) and gasket on tank side. Gotta go that way correct?

Screens brand new and primer stem since new carb.

I am kinda wondering if boot on oil breather or oil breather tube leaking. Acts like to lean. Unless i have diaphram and gasket wrong.

Thanks

BlazNT

BlazNT

This is the exploded view. It normally put the parts in the way they go but it could be wrong.
diaphram.jpg

S

smokeless

Well that exploded view leads one to believe diaphram goes on tank, or else its upside down. I put it on the way i took it off, gasket on tank.......but that dont mean it was correct. I guess the right order needs to be confirmed before moving fwd.

Thanks for the replies, got me scratching my head :-}

BlazNT

BlazNT

Well that exploded view leads one to believe diaphram goes on tank, or else its upside down. I put it on the way i took it off, gasket on tank.......but that dont mean it was correct. I guess the right order needs to be confirmed before moving fwd.

Thanks for the replies, got me scratching my head :-}

Me too because it does not seem correct to me. I will look around and see if I can find something else that either confirms or denies it.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Check the boot for holes or not on correctly. Spark plug is gapped at .030? Spark plug part number 802592S the resistor style? We will go from there.

S

smokeless

Check the boot for holes or not on correctly. Spark plug is gapped at .030? Spark plug part number 802592S the resistor style? We will go from there.

Pulled the following comment about the boot off a parts breakdown comment from another site """"""The part fit perfect and solved the fuel pump problem"""""" Fuel delivery or too lean seems logical to me, but I have been fooled many times before.

Gotta go to town today, believe I will head to the parts counter this AM and replace the boot. Mine has an exterior but there was NO sign of penetrating all the way through.

I will double check plug

More later

S

smokeless

Look at this, came off the bottom of our thread as a related discussion::

They are called suction lift carbs and are common on small B&S engines. As mentioned above to clean them you just unscrew them from the tank and carfully remove the gaskets and spring. there are actually 2 gaskets (one thick one and one thin one). The thick one goes against the carb and the thin one against the tank. This is important because the thin gasket acts like a diagraphm pump and pumps fuel up from the tank. If your gaskets are damaged in any way get new ones. Spray carb cleaner in all the holes and tubes. The longest tube has a screen on the end of it. Make sure it is clean.

I will still replace boot since it is a source problems, if no soap then will reverse gaskets. Will recheck plug as well

thanks, more later

BlazNT

BlazNT

So the "pump" is in the tank. The diagram did not lie after all. Cool, I hope it fixes the problem.

S

smokeless

So the "pump" is in the tank. The diagram did not lie after all. Cool, I hope it fixes the problem.

Hope no more my friend, runs ppppeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrttyyyyy. Reversed the gaskets per diagram and fired right up.

Thanks for all the replies and the parts breakdown. That rascal never ran well and know I know why

thanks again

BlazNT

BlazNT

I am so glad to hear.