Briggs 4 HP Carb Over Tank MTD

smokeless

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

Boy could I use some help, flat stumped. I have a Huskie mower believe by MTD, carb over tank. Nothing fancy, just run of the mill mower.

It started surging couple years back then finally quit running. We had a small one for trimming so started using that one and put the Huskie up..

Pulled the Huskie out to work on it. Installed new plug, changed oil, cleaned filter, cleaned carb and installed new gasket/diapham, fresh gas and on the first pull it started and ran for about one minute then stalled. So, I primed it again and this time it started, ran a second or so then shut down. I perceived fuel issue so once I got it started again I hit the primer few times and it would try to keep running. Therefore I figured fuel delivery. So I installed NEW carb, same issue. ACtion so far:

1. Installed new carb, gasket and diapham.
2. New springs, air filter, spark plug.

Dunno where else to check. Continual problem is I prime it, starts first or second pull, revs up then shuts down right down. STill will try to run if I manually prime it. Governor seems to working fine, it moves freely. I believe shut off ground circuit ok.

Any suggestions for places to check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Butch

Sorry, model number coming

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Model numbers off the engine and mower please.

smokeless

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model numbers off the engine and mower please.

Sorry, I meant to include but slipped up.

Model: 10J9020342 E1

CODE: 05021753

thanks

ADDED: Oops again, gotta get mower frame numbers, back to the garage

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now that I have had time to look everything over...
1. Did you put the diaphragm on the tank then the spacer or other way around?
2. Did you clean the mesh filter that is around the main jet?
3. Did you clean the pickup tube?
4. Did you remove the pickup tube? (If you did have you checked for cracks or breakage on it)

Last edited:

smokeless

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am pretty sure diaphram on carb side (with new spring on carb) and gasket on tank side. Gotta go that way correct?

Screens brand new and primer stem since new carb.

I am kinda wondering if boot on oil breather or oil breather tube leaking. Acts like to lean. Unless i have diaphram and gasket wrong.

Thanks

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is the exploded view. It normally put the parts in the way they go but it could be wrong.
diaphram.jpg

smokeless

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well that exploded view leads one to believe diaphram goes on tank, or else its upside down. I put it on the way i took it off, gasket on tank.......but that dont mean it was correct. I guess the right order needs to be confirmed before moving fwd.

Thanks for the replies, got me scratching my head :-}

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well that exploded view leads one to believe diaphram goes on tank, or else its upside down. I put it on the way i took it off, gasket on tank.......but that dont mean it was correct. I guess the right order needs to be confirmed before moving fwd.

Thanks for the replies, got me scratching my head :-}

Me too because it does not seem correct to me. I will look around and see if I can find something else that either confirms or denies it.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the boot for holes or not on correctly. Spark plug is gapped at .030? Spark plug part number 802592S the resistor style? We will go from there.