Briggs 22hp twin head bolt torque

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Specifically is this for Intek engines, twins or??? That is 25ft lbs converted.
From what I am finding that torque spec maybe specific to the 44 series engines. Found a 40 series that is still showing the 220 in/lb but the 44 series is showing 300 in/lb. Also found that certain 21-28-31-33 series single inteks are 250 in/lb but other models are 220 in/lb and the OHV single service manual doesn't reflect that change either, but there is a APSI showing that change dated 2012 and the engine manual was supposed to be updated but shows the old information.

Auto Doc's

Threads
Briggs changed the torque to 300 in/lb, but never updated the service manuals.
Do you have a printed source for this information, or was it passed through a "grapevine" network? Was this on one particular v-twin engine design?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IL like me have dealer access to the Briggs info.

The APSI (advance product service info) # 87 has the changes for the 21-28-31-33 series. As for the 44 series in this thread we are referencing the Power Portal specs for this engine.
1726927784527.png
I have only posted the head torque spec. all other torques specs were deleted.

Auto Doc's

Threads
Thanks Star Tech,

Many of us have always worked with published manuals or CD copies and seldom see the updates that come along.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thanks Star Tech,

Many of us have always worked with published manuals or CD copies and seldom see the updates that come along.
And sometimes even the dealers don't get updated information as quickly as we should. Like the time I was looking for a parts diagram for a Poulan Pro pushmower in August that had been on the market since March. Had to call Husqvarna and the tech support person had to put me on hold get in the elevator from the 5th floor and go to the basement to pull the product build sheet to get the part number and then get back into the elevator back to the 5th floor to give me the part number.

Or the mower I was looking for a parts diagram that the only reference was in French from a Canadian website.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try Russian....If wasn't a for translator program I would be in trouble.

IL, Isn't it fun to do this Day In and Day Out. I know drives me nuts at times. But the customer sometimes just don't understand how much of a rat race it can be working on lawn care or any other equipment. Even servicing dealers have problems at times.

No wonder sometimes a customer hears me scream just to relieve the tension. Better to let it out than blow a gasket.

Auto Doc's

Threads
Around my area, I'm "blessed" (cursed) with people racking up their credit cards to buy $5000.00 dollar mowers instead of maintaining or repairing the ones that they have.

It is seldom I even sell a decent used mower these days because everyone wants new.

When it comes to weed eaters, chainsaws and blowers, the parts just to repair them have gone through the roof. Most are now throwaway anyway

Junk brands and poor-quality name brands have flooded the market.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Or they insult you by offering low ball yard sales price for the equipment. The last riding mower I tried to sale for $500 which included a 90 day warranty that I had over $400 in new parts installed, the best offer was $125. When that happen I just quit restoring mowers for resale. Even a self propelled walk behind that I had for $75 was low balled at $20.

So I became a repair only shop.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
A few people on here get upset with us for wanting model numbers and trying to give out the correct information, where they would be happen throwing out suggestions and let the customer decide if it is correct or not, but don't realize that the customer may not know enough to decifer correct information from incorrect information.

Some days I spend more time doing paperwork then actually repairing items. Dealing with service manuals that haven't been updated since 2008 but working on an engine that was newly released in 2018 and is not covered in the manual that they ask you to use. Here is an example the 28P777 uses 220 in/lb head torque the 31P777 uses 250 in/lb. Or looking for parts diagrams for items that have been sold for 6 months and needing a warranty part but the diagram doesn't exist. Of worse says the part number is NLA on a mower that was produced this year.

My favorite is dealing with a diagram that has an incorrect part number but the part number will actually fit and work for a period before causing issues. Had a customer a few years ago that had a craftsman with a 48 inch deck that called for a 1/2 width belt that was the correct length but would bottom out in the pulleys allowing slippage. Had to get the part number of the complete deck and then back reference that deck to another mower to find the correct 5/8 width belt for that mower.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or they insult you by offering low ball yard sales price for the equipment. The last riding mower I tried to sale for $500 which included a 90 day warranty that I had over $400 in new parts installed, the best offer was $125. When that happen I just quit restoring mowers for resale. Even a self propelled walk behind that I had for $75 was low balled at $20.

So I became a repair only shop.
Same here. Quit trying to repair mower for sale. People being cheap and not wanting to pay asking price. And then will go to an auction and pay what would of been your asking price or more. Saw a Southland 20 inch non self propel pushmower from 2014 go for $79 at auction last month. Or even trying to sell the same product as the box store, And they will go from your shop to the box store and buy that product and then want you to do warranty work on it.