Briggs 17hp wont start and stay running

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
I think I may have done the opposite of what you told me, watch these videos in order and let me know? I tried starting it and it sounded kind of weird, so I wanted to check again before I cranked it up.
The reason I think I done it the opposite way is because, the rod went right when I messed with the lever on the carb. I then put the throttle to full throttle, turned the screw to the right and tightened it up.

Now, nothing moves but that middle piece with the big screw when I move the throttle and the lever on the carb remains super tight away from that idle screw.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqv39zl8jd868v6/Video Mar 10, 6 49 33 PM.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/susv5b83fe6gelp/Video Mar 10, 6 53 09 PM.mov?dl=0

EDIT - It wont start now and it sounds real bad when I try to turn it over...
Another Edit - I put the throttle at full go, turned the screw to the left as far as it would go and then it ran a lot better, but still didnt quite like to much action. A slight hill and it would slow down tons

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The kickback could be caused by an offset flywheel key so may want to check that. they other thing is it looks like the starter gear isn't meshing well with the flywheel ring gear. Bent starter shaft, or excessive wear in the starter worm can cause the problems you are having with starter gears.

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
Thanks,I got the starter gear replaced and now I am working on the other stuff. I tried to test it this morning but the dang drive belt was off. So I am looking for a diagram to get that put back on. Then I will take see if it will get enough power.. I am wondering if maybe the belt was loose and thats why it wasnt fully getting power under load...

EDIT - All's well with the drive belt, I tried it once more and it ran fine unless I went into the grass or up the driveway. So, If I turn it all the way right... It will not start.

If I turn it left, it will not go under load.

Can you try and explain the way it should turn again? I put videos up of how I turned it and what it was doing.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Static governor setting. Lets start by looking at the throttle on the carb. With the throttle lever all the way against the screw, Now while looking at the rod where that clamp bolt is, turn the throttle lever on the carb to the full throttle position watching what direction the rod turned. Now while holding the throttle in the full throttle position loosen the clamp bolt turn the screw all the way until it stops in the direction that it turned when you moved the throttle from idle to full throttle, and then tighten the bolt back down.

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
Static governor setting. Lets start by looking at the throttle on the carb. With the throttle lever all the way against the screw, Now while looking at the rod where that clamp bolt is, turn the throttle lever on the carb to the full throttle position watching what direction the rod turned. Now while holding the throttle in the full throttle position loosen the clamp bolt turn the screw all the way until it stops in the direction that it turned when you moved the throttle from idle to full throttle, and then tighten the bolt back down.

Lets make sure I follow this.

Got It - Static governor setting. Lets start by looking at the throttle on the carb. With the throttle lever all the way against the screw, Now while looking at the rod where that clamp bolt is,

Not sure- turn the throttle lever on the carb to the full throttle position watching what direction the rod turned.

Is this pulling the throttle lever all the way back from the screw in your first sentences?

Got it Excluding the question above - Now while holding the throttle in the full throttle position loosen the clamp bolt turn the screw all the way until it stops in the direction that it turned when you moved the throttle from idle to full throttle, and then tighten the bolt back down.

So my only other question is, where should my throttle on the engine be, "turtle" or "rabbit" :smile:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Lets make sure I follow this.

Got It - Static governor setting. Lets start by looking at the throttle on the carb. With the throttle lever all the way against the screw, Now while looking at the rod where that clamp bolt is,

Not sure- turn the throttle lever on the carb to the full throttle position watching what direction the rod turned.

Is this pulling the throttle lever all the way back from the screw in your first sentences?

Got it Excluding the question above - Now while holding the throttle in the full throttle position loosen the clamp bolt turn the screw all the way until it stops in the direction that it turned when you moved the throttle from idle to full throttle, and then tighten the bolt back down.

So my only other question is, where should my throttle on the engine be, "turtle" or "rabbit" :smile:

yes to the first question the second doesn't matter because you manually holding the throttle at full open, but can put at rabbit if you want

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
yes to the first question the second doesn't matter because you manually holding the throttle at full open, but can put at rabbit if you want

K, it didnt work.

1. Check which way the screw was turning, which was to the right.
2. Un bolted that thing.
3. Pushed the lever all the way back, away from the idle screw.
4. Turned the screw on the govenor to the right.
5. With that still turned to the right and the throttle pushed away from the screw, tightend the bolt.

Started it, and then .... videos uploading now of how it ran...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkrsdqcer9pixn4/Video Mar 12, 6 27 23 PM.mov?dl=0

Smoke was coming out of here and a sound of gushing air was coming out earlier when I tried to start it... Like a pop of air, as if you pressed the air compressor once and a deep pop of air sounded off
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a89t9xh7wgodq8c/Video Mar 12, 6 28 07 PM.mov?dl=0

Changing throttle and nothing... Then when I show the throttle towards the end of the video, I was just moving it up and down...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccuw7ddz7xvfwa8/Video Mar 12, 6 30 50 PM.mov?dl=0

I got another video coming of when I start it and move the throttle... It doesnt change speed...

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It sounds like it is running on one cylinder. I would say the one smoking is fine, but the other one isn't firing for some reason. Also the hissing, popping sounds like an air leak someplace. Maybe head gasket or another gasket leaking.

You showed that the throttle was moving at the carb, but didn't change the engine speed. Even with running on one cylinder it should still accelerate. I think we may be dealing with two separate problems. They may be difficult to diagnose. Lets start by making sure you have spark on both spark plugs. Also if possible a compression test of both cylinders. I know somebody will say that you can't test compression on a Briggs, or the reading isn't accurate. I need a comparison between the two cylinders.