Briggs 093j02-0006-f1 dead?

do606

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to most aspects of small engine repair. I have a Briggs 093j02-0006-f1 on a push mower. The person who last used it said it suddenly stopped working. The air filter was saturated with oil at the bottom and was dripping on to the deck. I pulled the air filter off and attempted to start it. It ran for a few seconds and put out a lot of black smoke before dying. I tried squirting some carb cleaner into the carb, but it would not restart. Person who last used it said they added oil. I checked the oil and it appeared to be dark grey and slightly overfilled. I pulled the spark plug it was completely black, I assume from oil. Is the engine a goner, or is there something else I should try?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lets start with a new spark plug and air filter. If still getting the black smoke after a couple minutes then most likely a carb issue and will need cleaned.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check oil level on flat ground. Should be EXACTLY on the FULL MARK, not over nor under at all times.
Make sure the deck height adjusters are the same on all 4 corners.
Check oil prior to EVERY MOWING.
NEVER over fill with oil.
Use SAE30 oil only. No 5w-30 or 10w-30 oils.
Slightly over filled to me is probably way over filled.
Check the level several times to make sure you have a correct level check.

Now pull the oil dipstick and smell for fuel on it. If you smell gas on the stick, you have a carburetor issue.

Plug is probably oil fouled now. As ILEngine said, try a new sparky plug.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only 4 reasons why oil ends up in the filter
1) mower tipped on it's side
2) oil over filled
3) blown head gasket
4) failed breather valve

do606

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies--now we are getting somewhere!

Replaced spark plug with properly gapped new spark plug. Drained oil and refilled with fresh oil. It ran well, but puts out some blue smoke when first started. Time to clean the carb? Leave it on the mower or take it off and disassemble it for that?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How long have you let it run after getting it started. May still be some residual oil that still hasn't burned out yet.

do606

Forum Newbie
Threads
2-3 minutes. Then let it sit a few minutes and restarted it. Smoke was not as bad on a warm start. Should I try to mow with it (20-30 minutes)?

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Run it and see what happens. It will either clear up, or will start using oil and soaking the air filter with oil. But at this stage in the game you have nothing to loose by running it.

do606

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ran it and mowed my back yard. Oil still clean, new air filter still looks new. Thanks for all the help, everyone, it has a new lease on life!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ran it and mowed my back yard. Oil still clean, new air filter still looks new. Thanks for all the help, everyone, it has a new lease on life!
Oil is cheap. Keep it on the FULL mark.

Probably too late but you need to remove the head and decarbonize the piston face and cylinder head areas. Small pieces of carbon will get between the piston and rings. Those will make gouges in the cylinder bore causing excessive oil use and smoke.

Agree, run her till she grenades.