Brand new HRX217 takes multiple pulls to start when cold. Is this normal?

Mower King

Threads
  • / Brand new HRX217 takes multiple pulls to start when cold. Is this normal?
Believe it or not.....mowers start easier and RUN BETTER on 87 octane fuel.........and NOT high octane fuel !

HurstGN

Threads
But where do you find Ethanol-free 87 octane fuel? Locally they only sell Ethanol-free in 90 octane. I'll deal with the 90 octane instead of ethanol damage.

Mower King

Threads
But where do you find Ethanol-free 87 octane fuel? Locally they only sell Ethanol-free in 90 octane. I'll deal with the 90 octane instead of ethanol damage.
All newer mowers are good for up to 15% of good, fresh ethanol gas, says so right on the fuel caps ...it also depends on where and how the mower is stored.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Still it is best to use 100% gasoline. I think some engines are built to "tolerate" E10 but not really MADE for it. E10 has less potential energy than raw gasoline. Plus all the water issues corroding the carbs and eating the rubber fuel lines ect.... Yes it is best to run 87 real gas if you can find it. Most engines only have 8:1 or at most 8.5:1 compression. That low of compression loves 87 octane. If you had like a 10:1 or higher engine then run the 91 stuff. On an 8:1 engine, 87 will make more HP and torque than on 91.87 octane burns faster than 91. 91 again burns slower to resist detonation (higher compression engines).

"There's your dinner" as Taryl would say.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you guys seen a mower carb that looks like someone poured sulfuric acid inside it? On these used mowers I get, you can tell if they ran E10 or not. I cringe when I get a new to me used rider and open the carb up. Praying heavily for no E10. These rider carbs get pretty pricey compared to a push mower. I've had some carbs where you couldn't even get the main jets out and the float pin area was all eaten up from corrosion/water/E10. I exaggerate a LOT but that sulfuric acid comment was no joke.

slomo

Mower King

Threads
All newer mowers are good for up to 15% of good, fresh ethanol gas, says so right on the fuel caps ...it also depends on where and how the mower is stored.
I typed that wrong...it's 10% not 15%.....my bad!

Mower King

Threads
Have you guys seen a mower carb that looks like someone poured sulfuric acid inside it? On these used mowers I get, you can tell if they ran E10 or not. I cringe when I get a new to me used rider and open the carb up. Praying heavily for no E10. These rider carbs get pretty pricey compared to a push mower. I've had some carbs where you couldn't even get the main jets out and the float pin area was all eaten up from corrosion/water/E10. I exaggerate a LOT but that sulfuric acid comment was no joke.

slomo
That's all true but......I call that, "job security"

HurstGN

Threads
I'm not looking to keep the small engine repair shop in business with frequent visits. I'm looking to keep my equipment running reliably over many years. When true trouble does strike, I will indeed then visit the shop and have a pro get me back on track.

TiIngot

Threads
So, I bought a HRX217 with the Easy Start auto-choke less than a month ago. I've used it 4 times- every time it has taken AT LEAST 2 pulls to get it started. Today it took 4. I always thought Hondas were one pull from cold start. I see nothing in the manual about having to pull multiple times. Is it common in the HRX with auto choke to have to pull multiple times to get it going? It starts back up on the first pull after the engine is warm. Does the choke just need to get "broken in" from a few uses to get it to start up on the first pull when cold?

Just trying to figure out if this is normal behavior. Kinda disappointed a $600.00 push mower isn't starting up on the first try.

Thanks in advance

TiIngot

Threads
So, I bought a HRX217 with the Easy Start auto-choke less than a month ago. I've used it 4 times- every time it has taken AT LEAST 2 pulls to get it started. Today it took 4. I always thought Hondas were one pull from cold start. I see nothing in the manual about having to pull multiple times. Is it common in the HRX with auto choke to have to pull multiple times to get it going? It starts back up on the first pull after the engine is warm. Does the choke just need to get "broken in" from a few uses to get it to start up on the first pull when cold?

Just trying to figure out if this is normal behavior. Kinda disappointed a $600.00 push mower isn't starting up on the first try.

Thanks in advance
I have the same issue each fall and spring when it is colder and when in low 40's needed to use starting fluid. The solution is easy. Very slowly pull the rope all the way out two or three times. This appears to manually prime the carburetor. Then pull hard as you normally would it mine always starts on the first hard pull!!!!