Brand new HRX217 takes multiple pulls to start when cold. Is this normal?

FRB

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Brand new HRX217 takes multiple pulls to start when cold. Is this normal?
I have a 2020 hrx217 HYA 200cc with the same problem (4 pull cold start engine).The last owner sold me this mower because he was tired to see easy start on the cover without solution from the dealer.I clean the carburetor, remove the seal cap on the ajustment idle screw, check every ports, play with ajustment screw 1 turn, 1 turn1/4, 1 turn 1/2 and leave it at 1 turn 1/2 and find nothing wrong with this carburetor. Choke plate is close at the cold start, thermo wax work properly and it still need 4 pull at cold start. Maybe the choke spring is not enough strong to keep the choke plate close at the firs pull, this is my next test, keep the choke plate close manually. At this point of research and comments I think Honda engineering as something to do in this last generation of HRX problem. I did not find any Bulletin Service. Because the goal to have a Honda mower is first pull start engine and this new generation HRX don't respond of this standard of quality. Anyway, I will do my own test and if I find something it will share with you owners of new generation of HRX. Thank You.
FRB

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One pull starting is a myth, unless you find a carb which has an overly rich jet. Give this little trick a try. Make sure it is on full choke. Very slowly pull the engine over two times. Then give it a good pull and see if it will start, which should happen with one maybe two pulls. The other thing you should check is to make sure the idle jet is not slightly clogged.

Briantii

Threads
I’ve noticed this with my HRX. My HRR216 with the GVC160 was always one pull but the HRX trends towards two pulls. I do run the carb out of fuel after every mow and noticed last time that turning the fuel back to on a few minutes (rather than seconds) before start allowed me a one pull start.

Maybe something to try.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve noticed this with my HRX. My HRR216 with the GVC160 was always one pull but the HRX trends towards two pulls. I do run the carb out of fuel after every mow and noticed last time that turning the fuel back to on a few minutes (rather than seconds) before start allowed me a one pull start.

Maybe something to try.
EPA requirements make the mowers run a lot leaner and that includes the enriching circuits on start up.
A case of the perfect obstructing the good
If you remember the old sprint engine used to squirt a jet of fuel directly into the engine when you primed it
Now they just momentarily push the float down to allow the bowl to slightly overfill .

FRB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally, choke spring is strong enough to close plate at start position and (I tryed it manually). The better way to start your HRX cold star is from a member written, very slowly pull the engine over two times. and after that one pull will start the engine. Honda HRX maybe need and update or the owner manual HRX need and update. I have Honda tiller , old Honda mower , Honda snowblower , Honda generator. and a never thought , that I have to join a forum about a Honda equipment product about a starting problem.Thank You .

activelife92

Threads
My new HRX usually starts on the second pull. Because these engines don’t have a primer, it seems like the first pull creates vacuum to fill the carb, and number 2 brings it to life.

I do not mind 2-3 pulls personally. If it was that big of an issue, I would have gotten an electric start model.