Brand New Honda ... Slightly Disappointed

Graeden

Threads
Every Honda mower I've used from the low end to commercial jobs all run at low revs like 2600-2800rpm. This is how they make them quieter. Crank the revs up to 3600 and they will sing as loud as the rest of them. Also lower revs means less engine wear and fuel consumption. The deck design and blade equates to cutting quality. Summation from all my Honda experience is they are "good" mowers. Notice the word "good". They will last a good bit and most people don't recognize a poor cut. Are there better mowers out there than Honda, sure are. Two brands come to mind.

P.S.
Lastly, my main issue with Hondas is the lack of engine torque. If you have dense grass like my Zenith Zoysia or Tifway Bermuda, look elsewhere. You need a big Briggs 190cc at minimum on these grasses.
Poor cut? What brands are better than Honda?

Edit: If you need more than 4.4hp @ 3600 rpm & 6.9 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm to mow grass, then you have other issues than the engine.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
How did you form that opinion?
Which opinion are you talking about. That engine rpm is based on a maximum safe blade tip speed of 19,000 fpm or that a blade used for multiple applications doesn't really do any of those applications to the best of their ability.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Poor cut? What brands are better than Honda?
OP said his 15 year old Yard Machine for one.

My 40+ year opinion of using and working on most everything, not everything like some of the guys on here, I still haven't found better pusher than Snapper HI-Vacs. No other mower even comes close,,,,, in bagging, to a Snapper. And that bagging specific deck still mulches as good as any other out there if not better. I haven't used their Ninja recycling deck yet, looking for one.

Toro's Super Recyclers are another mower that MULCH at the top of the list too. I don't know about the new black models. The older red aluminum decks are great mulchers. Bagging performance is rather lacking just like Honda.

Shoot, I've even had several Craftsman mowers that were pretty salty.

On your "4.4hp @ 3600 rpm & 6.9 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm to mow grass" comment, sounds like you've never cut Zoysia or Tifway Bermuda. If you lower the cut one mower notch, you can and will stall the engine. You have to sloooowly push the mower while doing this. Can't use normal self propel either. Even my Snapper 33" RER with a 14.5hp engine gets a tough workout on my grass. Got to keep a sharp blade.

slomo

Graeden

Threads
Which opinion are you talking about. That engine rpm is based on a maximum safe blade tip speed of 17,000 fpm or that a blade used for multiple applications doesn't really do any of those applications to the best of their ability.
1) That Honda’s are only “good” mowers, & 2) that they only operate @ 2800 rpm.

Graeden

Threads
OP said his 15 year old Yard Machine for one.

My 40+ year opinion of using and working on most everything, not everything like some of the guys on here, I still haven't found better pusher than Snapper HI-Vacs. No other mower even comes close,,,,, in bagging, to a Snapper. And that bagging specific deck still mulches as good as any other out there if not better. I haven't used their Ninja recycling deck yet, looking for one.

Toro's Super Recyclers are another mower that MULCH at the top of the list too. I don't know about the new black models. The older red aluminum decks are great mulchers. Bagging performance is rather lacking just like Honda.

Shoot, I've even had several Craftsman mowers that were pretty salty.

On your "4.4hp @ 3600 rpm & 6.9 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm to mow grass" comment, sounds like you've never cut Zoysia or Tifway Bermuda. If you lower the cut one mower notch, you can and will stall the engine. You have to sloooowly push the mower while doing this. Can't use normal self propel either. Even my Snapper 33" RER with a 14.5hp engine gets a tough workout on my grass. Got to keep a sharp blade.

slomo
It sounds like you have not as well. The 200cc on a HRX does quite well, as does the 163cc on a Toro. Blade sharpness enhances any mowers cutting ability. Which makes me wonder, how low are you trying to cut? And from what length?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
And neither one of those was my opinion. I never said anything about Honda being the only good mower or mowers operate at 2800 rpm. I said rpm is based on blade length.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
With my money, I will never buy a Honda. Too many levers on the bar to hold down and twist. Entire mower won't back up (huge post on here about this). Engines are down on torque compared to the competition (do your own research). Poor bagging performance (won't even pick up maple tree helicopter seeds). Initial cost of the machine is quite high especially compared to a Yard Machine or Craftsman LOL.

Never said they "only" operate at 2800. When I have found them unmolested, they run under 3k rpm with a tach on the plug wire. It is well known that Honda from the factory runs their motors at low rpm. Anyone ever found one at 3400-3600rpm before from the factory?

slomo

Last edited: