Bought Old 12 HP 42" MTD Rider For a Song

DaveTN

Threads
I went to an estate auction on Saturday, July 15 because it had 3 riding mowers advertised for bid. I was running late and got there just as the house sold and was starting on the outside items. Didn't have much time to look the mowers over and check them out. First one to go was a running Simplicity about 46" cut I think. It started off at $100 and jumped up to over $475. Not a bad buy really. Then a rear-engine Snapper with chute and bagger went for $370 or perhaps a bit more. A fair bargain but I didn't want to put that much in it. Then the old circa 1988 MTD 12 HP went on the block. What scared everyone off was the engine appeared to be seized up and wouldn't turn. Plus the front right tire had come off the rim! Scared people off. Opening bid was $20 and it went in $5 increments up to $30 and I was in it to win! I hit it for $35 and everybody went silent. SOLD to #71 !! I thought I had bought it for parts really, or perhaps put another 12 HP engine in it I had at home. Anyway when we went to move it as I pulled up the deck adjustment lever and pulled up on another odd looking lever that looked like a wheel height adjustment lever on a push mower, the engine suddenly freed itself up! It TURNED by hand!! A miracle? Not hardly, but that little lever controlled the blade engagement. Weird arrangement and I don't like it at all. But I dragged it home and drained the old gas out of the carb and poured in fresh and let some run through and fired it up. She ran but only on 1/2 choke for about 10 minutes. Tuesday I cleaned the bowl, cleaned the needle and seat and float with carb cleaner. Put her back together and she runs like a trooper. No smoke, easy start, plenty of power. Once I get the tire back on the rim and inflated it should be a good mower. Blades all spun but only other thing is the right spindle is a little rough on rotation, but I may wind up putting some new blade spindles on her. Not a bad deal for an old mower sitting in the basement for several years.