bought a new old toro

Threads
Relative has one that's not used and the self-propel bar (the black bar) has no tension. Wish it was an easy fix.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
So using it today its doing a great job however besides the tires being bald the drive is a little disapointing. The left wheel started doing this start and stop thing makes the mower bounce. Alittle any ideas what this could bek

tybilly

Threads
exotion,just seen them on ebay or amazon for 10.00 each

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your drive problem is more than one of three things. Sloppy worn wheel bushing, not allowing the gears to stay engaged. Bad drive gear, it should be flat, with no concave wear. Bad key or engagement washer, not allowing the key to pivot properly.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your drive problem is more than one of three things. Sloppy worn wheel bushing, not allowing the gears to stay engaged. Bad drive gear, it should be flat, with no concave wear. Bad key or engagement washer, not allowing the key to pivot properly.

Just looked at it there was a gold ring thing on the axle not in the piece where it should be I slid it back into place and wrapped the axle in cord wrap and zip tied the cord wrap to keep the gold thing in place and protect from strings and things. The drive gear seems to ratchet ok free wheels one direction and engages the other way spinning the whole axle and other wheel I didn't look at condition of drive gear real close it was covered in grease. Does this help any? Its still does the weird stop and go thing

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
exotion,just seen them on ebay or amazon for 10.00 each

I can't find them can you send links? The part number I have is 51-2741 according to my parts list

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is my parts list I got the whole parts manual off toro website sorry pic is fuzzy I took a shot of my computer screen what part(s) am I going to need rivets? I would rather just replace them with new than to fix. With used also how does one go about greasing the transmission? Unlike the proline this trans has no grease zerk and seeing as this is a 1987 machine I bet it might need some

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130819_163233.png
    ForumRunner_20130819_163233.png
    391.2 KB · Views: 9

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can't really tell you which parts you are going to need because I can't see them. #40, the spring may be causing your problem. If the hole in which it rests is gummed with grease and so is the spring it will no work properly. Carefully remove this spring, it may not be easy, clean the hole and spring, reassemble and test. Let's start there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forgot to add that when you install the gear back on the shaft it must be in the same direction as when you removed it. Will not work at all if installed wrong.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Forgot to add that when you install the gear back on the shaft it must be in the same direction as when you removed it. Will not work at all if installed wrong.

I will give that a shot next time I have some time to burn it may be a few days till I get it a go. Still wondering about packing the trans with grease I wonder if the whole trans needs to be dropped and if so maybe I should drop the whole rear axle clean everything up and re grease