bolens st824 snow blower amount of oil

bsa_bob

Threads
I had and lost my instruction manual. i changed oil and put way to much back in; 2 qts how much should i have used ,This ole girl is old and help is greatly appreciated- strait 30#s what i am using seems terribly thin when poured? bob s

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is the model number of the engine? But you really do not need the number. Just fill until the dipstick says it is full. Start with 1/2 quart and go from there.

bsa_bob

Threads
What is the model number of the engine? But you really do not need the number. Just fill until the dipstick says it is full. Start with 1/2 quart and go from there.

thank you much!! got Up to 11" snow starting tonight. I think i'm getting tensed up- Age does this. What weight would be reccomended?thanks again BlazNT ----------bob s

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m assuming you have either an older Briggs or Tecumseh engine on your unit. Both engines take about 1 quart of oil. I recommend using 5W-30 oil.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
What Rivets said.

bsa_bob

Threads
What Rivets said.

I thought lawnmowers , tillers anything with A small engine; 5hp area]Takes strait 30# oil? bob s all my years i have never used 5w30-or even heard of it being used. But if you say so! thank you bob s

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The 30 weight oil you are talking about is for warm/hot weather use. 5W-30 is for cold weather use. You could use the 30 weight oil but it will make it very hard starting, because the oil will get too thick. I don’t want to get into a discussion on viscosity, we could be here all day.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I thought lawnmowers , tillers anything with A small engine; 5hp area]Takes strait 30# oil? bob s all my years i have never used 5w30-or even heard of it being used. But if you say so! thank you bob s

They RUN on 30 or 40 weight oil.
However when it is near freezing point 30 w oil is about 90w and you will not be able to pull the starter rope,
If you could get it to start it will be near 10 minutes before the oil gets thin enough to properly lubricate the engine.
OTOH if you keep your blower in a heated room and always start it in that room then let it warm up for 10 minutes before going outside, then strait 30 will be fine.
You can use 10w 30 as well just so long as the oil is warm enough to flow when you start it.
The first number is the viscosity of the oil at 20 Deg C ( whatever that is in F ) and the second is the viscosity at 100 C.
When the temperature is in the minus deg C range the oil thickens up to somewhere between honey & treacle .

bsa_bob

Threads
Re: Ariens st824 snow blower amount of oil

They RUN on 30 or 40 weight oil.
However when it is near freezing point 30 w oil is about 90w and you will not be able to pull the starter rope,
If you could get it to start it will be near 10 minutes before the oil gets thin enough to properly lubricate the engine.
OTOH if you keep your blower in a heated room and always start it in that room then let it warm up for 10 minutes before going outside, then strait 30 will be fine.
You can use 10w 30 as well just so long as the oil is warm enough to flow when you start it.
The first number is the viscosity of the oil at 20 Deg C ( whatever that is in F ) and the second is the viscosity at 100 C.
When the temperature is in the minus deg C range the oil thickens up to somewhere between honey & treacle .

Thank you for taking the time to help.I'm getting olderand finding i can't bring to mind what i used to. Again thank you bert bob s informed and happy

Last edited: