Blade Won't turn all the way around

fairbs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I was trying to start my mower for the first time of the season. I was pulling the cord and it was working correctly, but wasn't starting at all. I then checked the oil and it was off the stick. I filled it with oil, but now the handle won't pull at all. If I turn the blade by hand it goes about 330 degrees around, but on each way of turning seems to hit something. I've inspected it pretty well and it's not hitting anything underneath for sure. I took off the shrouds or covers on the top and can't see anything it's hitting there either. I also read about hydraulic lock resulting from tipping it the wrong way (which is a good possibility) so I pulled the plug and moved it back and forth a bunch of times, but nothing changed. The shaft doesn't seem bent or wobbly or loose. Any ideas? If it seized (which to me seems unlikely because it never actually started), would I still be able to turn the blade?

Thanks,

Andy

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things come to mind. One the rod is broken, which can be checked by looking through the spark plug hole while turning the blade, and see if the piston moves up and down. The other thing is a piece of carbon or something is on top of the piston preventing it from reaching top dead center.

fairbs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two things come to mind. One the rod is broken, which can be checked by looking through the spark plug hole while turning the blade, and see if the piston moves up and down. The other thing is a piece of carbon or something is on top of the piston preventing it from reaching top dead center.

I looked through the hole, but don't see anything moving. I take it the next step is to pull the head? Or would it hurt to give it a couple love taps to see if I can get it past the point it stops? Thanks for you help by the way. -Andy

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First I would make sure the ignition module isn't actually hitting the flywheel magnet. then barring that I would pull the head and see what it looks like in there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I looked through the hole, but don't see anything moving. I take it the next step is to pull the head? Or would it hurt to give it a couple love taps to see if I can get it past the point it stops? Thanks for you help by the way. -Andy

And no you will not hit it with a hammer.
If it won't rotate then something is wrong all smacking it with a hammer till do is bend or brek whatever is cusing the problem so the bekt part can then go through the cases and total the engine.

gainestruk

Threads
You said with spark plug out you could not see anything moving, with plug out take a screw driver that will fit thru hole and push it in till it is against the piston, while holding pressure on screw driver turn the blade with other hand and if the piston doesn't move then you have a broken rod.
If that is the case you have a major internal problem, it will need to be opened up to see what the damage is, if piston moves you can take head off and see if a piece of carbon or a screw was sucked thru carburetor.
Let us know what you find, Good Luck !

fairbs

Forum Newbie
Threads
First I would make sure the ignition module isn't actually hitting the flywheel magnet. then barring that I would pull the head and see what it looks like in there.

I pulled what I think is the head. I now know why I couldn't see anything moving because the piston is away from where the spark plug attaches. I've also found why the blade wouldn't turn all the way around. There was a small sliver of the top of the piston chipped off and that was stopping it from reaching its highpoint. With the head off, I can now rotate the blade fully and the piston moves up and down. So now the big questions are: is it worth fixing? does the piston need replacing? I was pulling it apart quickly before work, but I could provide a picture if that would help assess the damage.

gainestruk

Threads
Please post picture of piston and the head so we can see what damage you have, also take your hand with piston all the way up and try to move it side to side and tell us how much movement, it would also be good to have picture of cylinder wall with piston all the way down.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually a "sliver off the top" will be chunk from the ring grove to the crown.
This means the top ring will not be able to seal properly and the engine will be some where between a little smokey to a moving smoke screen.
If the bore is OK , which is why you were adviced to not to force it you will get away with a new piston or piston & rod which are not very expensive.
Again we will need the pickies.

Look closely at the piston top as something caused that lump to break off.
Very early you do get a piston cracked from new but mostly it is because something got into the cylinder that should not have been there, screws from the carb are a prime example.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tecumseh engine and no oil showing on the dip stick.

Buy a new engine at minimum or buy a new mower.