Export thread

Blade Shaft/Pulley Falling

E

Ericbss7

2010 Craftsman LT2000

Driving along mowing and all of a sudden i start to hear a noise from the deck every time I disengage the blades, like a violent banging sound. Also start to smell rubber. (Yes at this point I should have stopped but I didn’t) Few short minutes later I can’t engage the blades anymore so I turn it off and pulled the deck. Naturally I found a partially shredded belt (rubber smell), but I also found that one of the blades was very low, against the ground basically. Aside from the blades being torn up, which I expected, I noticed that the shaft of that one low blade was coming out of the mower deck (see image). The other was still tight to the deck. I’m able to bang it back up with a rubber mallet, however it’s very loose and will definitely fall again once I turn the deck upright. I have no idea how these shafts/pulleys are held in place, I didn’t see any obviously bolts, etc. Apologies for the ignorance, just trying to find out what I need besides a new belt and 2 new blades!

Attachments

I

ILENGINE

Top bearing has failed. Remove the nut holding the pulley on and remove the pulley from the top of the shaft and drop out the bottom of the housing and replace the bearings, and put it back together. Unless the shaft is bent no reason not to just repair the spindle

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

941-0919B​

is the OEM bearing number, or i believe that is a standard 6204-2RS bearing

S

slomo

Not seeing the problem LOL. :p

E

Ericbss7

Thanks for the help everyone! Appreciate all the quick responses. Time to order some parts.

B

bertsmobile1

Time to pull it apart, see where the problem is then order the appropriate parts

Cusser

Cusser

I have an LT1000 in a small town, and I order spindle, pulley, blades, belt as a kit. I always have a spare spindle/mandrel and belts on hand as these do wear or break.

I've seen a John Deere unit that has grease fittings on its spindles.

J

Joed756

I have an LT1000 in a small town, and I order spindle, pulley, blades, belt as a kit. I always have a spare spindle/mandrel and belts on hand as these do wear or break.

I've seen a John Deere unit that has grease fittings on its spindles.
If you pull the spindle apart you will see (usually) that the bearings are sealed and those zerk fittings are giving you a convenient way to waste grease.

C

charleneje

If you pull the spindle apart you will see (usually) that the bearings are sealed and those zerk fittings are giving you a convenient way to waste grease.
you can remove the inner bearing seals and waste a pound of grease filling the shaft up by pumping grease in it

G

Gord Baker

You have hit something very solid. Replace entire Spindle and the 3 Blades and Deck Belt Check other 2 spindles for looseness. Walk your area and find out what you hit. Something very solid.

T

ttoolman

This is a common failure with MTD mandrels. I always keep a spare around. They will do this without hitting anything.