Walk behind Blade falling off

susiep303

Forum Newbie
Threads
Usually those are spring washers and need to go on so that it's cupped upwards toward the blade. And note that you should always disconnect the spark plug when doing any work on the mower, just grab the rubber boots and pull if off and make sure its away from the spark plug.

Are you using a block of wood wedged between the deck and the blade to tighten it? If you're just holding it with your hand you likely aren't getting it tight enough.

Thank you for answering. I didn't know about the block of wood. I was just using my hand. I will try that.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Something like this.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 9

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
As far a the spark plug wire, it will look something like this. You really should disconnect it any time you're working on your mower, especially working on the blade.

Attachments

• FH06JAU_MOWBLA_02.JPG
    FH06JAU_MOWBLA_02.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 6

susiep303

Forum Newbie
Threads
As far a the spark plug wire, it will look something like this. You really should disconnect it any time you're working on your mower, especially working on the blade.

Oh wow!!!! Thank you so much. The pictures helped immensely! Thank you!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh wow!!!! Thank you so much. The pictures helped immensely! Thank you!

You're welcome. A picture really is worth 1,000 words. :biggrin:

And as far as how tight to get it. I'd say as tight as you can get it using just your lower arm strength, not straining or putting your body into it.

Last edited:

susiep303

Forum Newbie
Threads
You're welcome. I picture really is worth 1,000 words. :biggrin:

And as far as how tight to get it. I'd say as tight as you can get it using just your lower arm strength, not straining or putting your body into it.

Thank you.

jp1961

Threads
If you blade is straight, you can check for a bent crankshaft by measuring the distance from the blade tip to the bottom of the deck, then rotate the blade 180 degrees and measure again, should be the same.

It doesn't have to be bent much for it to vibrate.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
But usually only riding mowers use the shapes to help hold the blades. I've never seen it on a push mower, yet.
do you have the model number of the mower?

I just replaced the blade and star-shape adapter on an MTD 21" push mower (Walmart cheapie). The adapter was broken and part of it was missing.