blade balancing? torque?

jargey3000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been removing blades for sharpening for years. I never really checked them for balance or set the blade back on at recommended torque, just as tight as I could get it. Lately I started trying check the balance using the nail-in-wall method, shich doesn't seem too accurate to me. In the real world, just how vital is it to balance and torque the blade to exact specs?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The question how vibration can you and the mower take?

The nail is not very good at balancing. Here I use a cone on a pointed pin but that even more accurate than the nail. NOw I do have problem mounting holes that are not round. Many that can afford uses a magnet type balance the uses a ball bearing. The less the blade is out of balance the less wear and tear of the mower part take. Ever drove your vehicle with the tires out balance it is the same that happening to the mower when the blades are out of balance.

As for torquing it is important as you don't want a blade spinning off especially the round types. The star mounts are more forgiving as the blade is lockin with the star but they still torqued to specs.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
i use the Stens cone 750 042... $6.99 and never had any vibrations... but 99% of the time i sharpen push mower blades which most have the round hole. some don't., and replace ride on blades... seems ride on owners like to mow dirt.
if a blade is heavy on one side i do a little grinding on that side.

jargey3000

Forum Newbie
Threads
mine's a push mower, with a star-type (not round) hole in middle to mount, plus a small round hole on either side of center, that fit over 2 round guides(not sure of technical term lol) on the adapter thingy.

sometimes, on the nail, one side (say, the right side) will drop.
but then when i flip it over say, right-to-left, now the side to the right (which WAS the left side) will drop!
go figure lol!

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same as Star & Scrubby
A cheap cone balancer and try to balance the blade left right & front back
Vibrations kill spindle bearings very quickly

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been removing blades for sharpening for years. I never really checked them for balance or set the blade back on at recommended torque, just as tight as I could get it. Lately I started trying check the balance using the nail-in-wall method, shich doesn't seem too accurate to me. In the real world, just how vital is it to balance and torque the blade to exact specs?
Do you balance the tires on your car? Engine? Check book?

slomo

Stokdgs

Threads
Same as Star & Scrubby
A cheap cone balancer and try to balance the blade left right & front back
Vibrations kill spindle bearings very quickly
Absolutely correct !
Another thing to think about is make sure the surface the balancer is on is - level -..

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Using a grinder will necessitate balancing. Grinders remove a lot of material. Then you can talk about killing the temper of the steel.

Best to use a fresh double cut mill bastard hand file. I can sharpen one in a vice about the same time as a grinder. Balance doesn't get off near as much. Easy on the electric bill too. Don't have to store a big grinder either.

Course a belt sander with fine paper could be used.

For balancing I use a real accurate digital cooking scale. Measures down to 1 gram or 0.05 ounce. Never a wobble.

slomo

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Slomo,

You find out why just replacing .250 blades is cheap to replace as and much less time consuming when you spend 1-1/2 hrs sharping and balancing three them. And blades do get out quite bit according the cone balancer but I looking into one the balancer that uses ball bearings.

Personally I don't see how a digital scale is going to balance a blade unless it a hand balance style and I don't they make one. It wont easy to use blade balancing either.
20239324-businessman-hand-holding-a-balance-on-white-background.jpg